Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tattoo
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd confirm that the cover art is by Ian Miller. The original artwork (without text) is reproduced in Jerry Weist, "Bradbury: an Illustrated Life" (p.74).

There is a scan of the cover at http://www.mtco.com/~jligon/ray1.JPG

(a little bit clearer than Faler's photos!)

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A piece of wood, very interesting you ask me that. Is it because I mentioned that I am in the Army?

Somebody invents a machine that turns metal into rust. Bradbury starts exploring this idea, saying things like, people will line up on the border with wooden boxing gloves. Me personally, I'd start carrying a bone knife.

But my bone knife is besides the point, it explores the idea of humanity being disarmed. War at our level would be impossible without metal. I had written a poem once about how in steel, is the essence of death. You have the phalanx, samurai, knight, all the way to modern day, steel has made killing more efficient.

I remember that was one of the first stories I had read. yes, I was sitting in my father's basement. The story spoke of that if we had no weapons we'd simply fight barefisted. Then the only way to make piece would be to cut of all the arms. If we had no arms, we'd kick box. Then for peace they'd cut off the legs. Then we'd spit on each other. Then for peace we'd put corks in our mouthes. Then the hate will be so thick in the air birda would be afraid to fly.

After I had read this I imagined to men in Army uniform coming into my basement to cut of my arms and legs, and put a cork in my mouth so that I would not be able to fight.

Oh and, the price tag is not on the tatoo. The tattoo only has the graphic, no words.

As soon as I get in one more real session, and a final touch up session my tattoo artist will have proffesional photos taken.

She's very proud of her work.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latest Billy Bob's movie musings from the Oregonian:

Did you get a Davy Crockett tattoo to commemorate the occasion?

Why, yes, I did. I don't see it much -- it's on my right shoulder -- but I have a Texas flag and it says "Remember" above it, and "The Alamo" below it. I went down with four other people from the movie and we all have the same tattoo. It's the first tattoo I've gotten related to a movie I was on. Maybe it'll be the beginning of a trend.

If your career keeps going the way it is now, by the time you're 80 you'll be the Illustrated Man.

There's an idea. Then I can star in that movie from the Ray Bradbury book. Maybe direct it, too.

Karen Karbo: c/o The Oregonian, 1320 S.W. Broadway, Portland, OR 97201

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post