Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Leaving the Dessert

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving the Dessert
 Login/Join

posted
22 days, that's how much tim I have left in the Army. I cannot thing of a better time to leave. When I return to my hometown of Pittsburgh, the Dandelions will be in bloom. In one of my father's books is the recipe for Dandelion Wine.

I've lived in the god forsaken dessert for 3 years, and the only times I've been able to come back to Pittsburgh are in the frozen winter.

I can't think of a better way to celebrate then with Dandelion wine.

I'll let you all know how the first bottles turn out.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, just thought of something. You gus have any good recipes for dandelion wine?

[This message has been edited by Faler (edited 04-05-2004).]

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler:

There have been many posts during the last 2 years that have listed dozens of recipes for ''Dandelion Wine''. I don't know how to jump those posts over to here.... so you'll have to take the time and locate them yourself....

I'll post a few if I can figure it out, (or if someone, like dandelion, has the kind heart to do a few for you) .

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone said they'd found a place to order it online and were planning to send Ray a gift bottle. How did that come out?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on leaving the desert!

I do have one tip on making dandelion wine. The flowers must be fully open when picked. If you pick them closed, nasty bugs crawl in and make your elixir all icky.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all... I discovered last year that apparently it isn't possible to have wine shipped over state lines. (At least, the places I checked, that sold on-line, wouldn't do so.) So, if anyone wants to order dandelion wine from a website, make sure the vineyard is located in your own state...

Ah, good old run-down Pittsburgh! I haven't been there for a while....

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i didnt know dandelion wine was real! does it really forment into alchohol or is it just a cool drink?

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had it but am told if not brewed just right it turns into something akin to white lightning! Very potent brew.

posted Hide Post
white lightning?!?!? lol!

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, dandelion wine does of course have the alcohol content that most wines do. (In other words, some, but not a huge amount--nothing compared to whiskey, for example.) I ended up having my brother bring down a couple of bottles from New York when he was here on a visit. We enjoyed it--but then, I don't know anything to speak of about wine, so how good was it really? Who knows... (I believe a real wine connoisseur has very little use for flower or berry wines in general--they stick to grapes...)

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fermented a bottle of apple juice with a little yeast.

It's definetly alcoholic, I can tell by the smell.

But, if you saw it you'd know why I'm afraid to drink it. Maybe I'll test it on some mice before I feed them to my snake.

You can pretty much ferment any organic liguid with yeast. When I was a kid, me and my freinds discovered this, and made our own mead from honey and yeast.