Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My 1 hour with Mr. Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 1 hour with Mr. Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
In 1992, I was invited to a graduation party in the Hollywood Hills. A classmate of mine requested my presence at his grandfathers house. My friend enticed me by saying that his grandfather had written one of the original teleplays for Star Trek. What Sci Fi nut could refuse. Once at the party, I was wisked away to a secret writing room and given a first hand account of what it was like to write for television in the 60's. Returning to the party, my friend asked me if I would like to meet his godfather. Already on cloud nine, I said why not. He had one condition. I was to have a shot of any hard liquor on the counter. I kindly refused until I caught sight of a large bearish man sitting at the other end of the small room. I quickly, downed a mouthful of tequila and was then willingly led to meet his godfather. My friend introduced me as a fellow graduating classmate and aspiring writer, I blushed and immediate disqualified myself from the dangling title. Mr. Ray Bradbury stood up and engulfed my hand in his. "Any friend of Bill's is a friend of mine. Please sit with us". For the next hour Mr. Bradbury included me in every conversation in the small group he was holding court in. Come to find out, each of them was a world renowned writer in their own right. I am ashamed to say, I do not remember any of their names, but I will never forget one of the most gracious and iconic people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Mr. Bradbury was a giant to me then and still holds a kind place in my heart. He is why I continue to write and publish today.

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But do you remember the Star Trek writer?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Self-consciousness is the enemy of all art, be it acting, writing, painting, or living itself, which is the greatest art of all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 1 | Location: 100 S Laventure Rd,Mount Vernon,WA 98274 | Registered: 05 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madison brock:
I think that Self-consciousness is the enemy of all art, be it acting, writing, painting, or living itself, which is the greatest art of all.

That's exactly what Ray says: "Thinking is the enemy to creativity."

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although that wasn't actually attributed to Ray, I had the feeling it was a quote from him.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post