Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    'The Corona Incident'

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'The Corona Incident'
 Login/Join

posted
Well...
Since I only write a little more than one book a year, and since...I named Ray as 'The Greatest Science Fiction Writer of the 20th Century' on our website...

I thought it would be okay to mention 'The Corona Incident.' This isn't a sales pitch. It won't be out for a couple of weeks yet.

Have you ever wondered if the Roswell Crash was for real? I have. I researched the heck out of the whole thing for two long years. You should see the paper files.
Conclusion: There was something, and the military likely covered it up. I could give you this argument or that, whatever. You've heard it all before.
One thing you ask yourself when researching a question like Roswell is this: Who has the most to gain or lose by lying?
I found that the military had much to gain by lying, and the verified witnesses, the first-hand witnesses only, had much to lose by lying.
That's a pretty basic assessment, I know. But, it is often a good way to decide the truth.

I figured one way to answer the question was to propose a solution in a novel. Of course, the events at Roswell in July, 1947...or more correctly, Corona, did NOT happen as in 'The Corona Incident.'
It's fiction. However, I incorporated many known facts into the story and made it into a great adventure. (hopefully)

'The Corona Incident' will be released in hardback and paperback, six by nine inch, with twenty-five interior illustrations.

My sincere thanks to Ray again for his inspiration!

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't wondered if it was for real, I have been almost certain that it was a real event with a real coverup.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert, I don't think that anyone on the board minds your mentioning one of your new works. After all, I think that we should feel honored to have a living, breathing, successful author as a contributing member of the board.

You mention an item and pretty much that is it. If, with every posting, you had a box with the latest release outlined in it, then yes, I would say that would be objectionable

And yes, the Roswell Incident is certainly an interesting topic. Recently I read a book about the incident and watched a video with Martin Sheen and the guy from Twin Peaks on it.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the video had more truth in it than anything else. I once received some documents I requested under the Freedom of Information Act...50-60% of the text was blacked out, practically useless.

Roswell simply won't go away quietly. The military issued its 'Final Report on Roswell' in the late 90's and tried to claim that the 'bodies' witnesses may have seen were simply anthropormorphic (human-like) dummies dropped from high altitudes to test parachutes. They said they could not reveal the details on 'Project High Dive' until now, because it was classified.
Problem: Project High Dive didn't begin until about six years AFTER Roswell, so the military really got caught with egg on their faces. I couldn't believe they actually expected to get away with that one. Roll Eyes

The one witness whose story has the ring of truth, a medical doctor (today) with absolutely nothing to gain by lying...and the best witness overall...was Dr. Jesse Marcel Jr.

I read his book. He wasn't lying. I would bet the farm on it.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That High Dive thing was pretty silly, even if not for the fact of it occurring years later. Like doctors and nurses would mistake dummies for dead bodies, and the military would ask for sealed caskets for dummies! What kinda dummies do they think people are to believe such nonsense?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been opined that those were dummy doctors, nurses, and caskets, you know!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you also see the thing with the picture of a military man holding a memo? Parts of it were readable, and definitely talked about a crash, and victims, not a weather balloon or dummies!

posted Hide Post
That was Major Jesse Marcel, Senior (Dr Marcel's father) and his superior, General Ramey.

The 'memo' evidence is ambigious, though. It relies on whether you believe the text could be enhanced enough to read portions of it.

Mac Brazel, the foreman of the Foster Ranch in Corona, was the first to find wreckage. In the end, the Army kept him in 'guest house' at the Roswell Army Air Corps Base for five days. When he came out of there, he had recanted his entire story and was seen a few days later driving a brand-new truck.

I tend to discount the second hand witnesses and the 'he said to me' witnesses, preferring to rely on the actual known facts and the first hand witness testimony. If you start getting into the second-level witnesses, it leads down a road where it can be difficult to find your way. Mac Brazel, the two sergeants at Roswell who were on board the flight out of Roswell with the debris, etc. and Jesse Marcel. Those are the true witnesses.

Dr Marcel says that when his father dragged some of the debris into the house, he was so excited he woke his wife and Marcel Junior up to view it.
Marcel Junior kept some pieces for about a week. The foil that magically flattened itself, and the sections of I-beams with the strange markings.
A week or so later, the MP's came and took it all away.

posted Hide Post
Picked up a copy of this http://www.amazon.com/Why-People-Believe-Weird-Things/d.../105-7120911-2779658 at a book sale today, which will no doubt tell why everyone is wrong about everything and nothing of interest has ever actually happened, so no need for coverups.