Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray Ray's Movies
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Ray's Movies
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know what short stories were turned into films?

Posts: 1 | Location: Astoria, NYC, US | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several were feature films or miniseries, including "Fahrenheit 451," "The Illustrated Man," "The Martian Chronicles," and "Something Wicked This Way Comes." "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" went direct to video, and probably several hundred appeared on "Ray Bradbury Theater." I don't have a complete list and since not everything was released on video it's impossible to compile one from sources like Internet Movie Database or Amazon.com.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Year Or Two Ago I Read An Article Saying "The Sound Of Thunder", "Frost And Fire", And "The Illustrated Man" Were Set To Go Before The Cameras. Haven't Heard Anything Since.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sound of Thunder...

...was completed several months ago, supposedly, filmed in the Czech Republic, starring Ed Norton and Ben Kingsley....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also "The Screaming Woman," starring Olivia De Havilland was made into a made-for-t.v. movie which I am trying to get my hands on.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper, check on eBay and you will likely find VHS copies of THE SCREAMING WOMAN. I picked up a copy there, and I have seen copies for sale since. Just don't expect high picture quality...it appears that most of the copies for sale on eBay note that picture quality is only fair, which is certainly an accurate description of the quality of my tape.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check it out.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that The Screaming Woman was on The Ray Bradbury Theater? Yes?No?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, the version on THE RAY BRADBURY THEATER was written by Ray, was approximately 30 minutes long and featured, if my memory is correct, a very young Drew Barrymore as the little girl no one would believe. The version to which Imskipper refers is the 1972 made-for-TV movie starring Olivia de Havilland and Joseph Cotton, and directed by Jack Smight. The lead character was changed from a child to an older woman recuperating from a nervous breakdown, whom no one would believe. Ray did not write the screenplay for the 1972 version. In an interview in a 1973 issue of TAKE ONE magazine, Ray said that he was told that the reason for changing the lead to an older woman was because it was difficult to cast the part of a child who could sustain interest throughout the entire film. However, he also said that he liked the made-for-TV film anyway, especially Olivia de Havilland and the film's ending.

posted Hide Post
Richard:
Hey, Thanks! The name Jack Smight rings a bell.... What else did he do? Seems there was something that happened years back that was of special interest involving Jack Smight? Does that create a connect the dots scenario?

posted Hide Post
The TV-movie was well-made and the ending indelibly memorable. People have written online reviews saying it struck terror into their hearts and gave them nightmares as children -- some of the reviews may appear at www.imdb.com -- but as far as 1972 the obvious choice for a child actor would be Jodie Foster. What's the matter, was she not available, with Johnny Whitaker as Dippy?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, if the name Jack Smight rings a bell, it may be because he also directed the very forgettable big screen version of THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, with Rod Steiger and Claire Bloom.

posted Hide Post
Richard:

That's It! You got it. That's where I remember the Smight name.

But even tho Ray didn't care for Illustrated Man, he kept friends with Rod Steiger. Who was at Ray's side when he got the Star on Hollywood Boulevard? Rod Steiger on one side, Charlton Heston on the other....

posted Hide Post
RB's film involvements, listed here: http://www.imdb.com/Name?Bradbury,+Ray

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury appeared at The October Country this evening and stated that Mel Gibson has been working on a remake of Farenheit 451, and Universal has been working on a remake of The Martian Chronicles. We'll see what comes of these!

Posts: 4 | Location: sylmar,CA, USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post