Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    How has Ray inspired You?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How has Ray inspired You?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Jack (The AZ Limo Guy) & rocket ~

I'm beginning to write about Ray in a new perspective, one that says that creative "magicians' like Ray and others still are human contrary to what wildness may enter our minds and souls thru such association. Certainly there is no divine presence other than the God who creates. But this may not be an easily understood notion for those caught up in the magic at an early age. For others, it may not be so.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nord is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Nord is a good word.

Doug ~ Back in the early seventies, I got a Christmas card from Ray. Still got it. In green ink he wrote: Merry Christmas Nord!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roy Brodbury obviously thought you were Nord Kardell.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess in my "old age" (78) my spelling has gone awry Nard....but then Ray enjoyed his 88th last August. I'd be delighted to have half the energy and (eyesight) of Ray!

Posts: 6 | Registered: 17 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the misspelling of your name Nard....

Your thoughts regarding how Ray inspired you were great. Who says we do not have a loving God !

posted Hide Post
A recent letter that I sent off to Ray on behalf of a friend...

Dear Ray ~

I have written to you a few times in the past and you have always been so very gracious with me. I didn’t want to take up your time again but I had to pass this story on to you. A friend of mine named Arnold called me before Thanksgiving to tell me that his 93 year old mother’s health was failing. He lives here in NY and she was in a hospice facility in Florida. She was gravely ill so to comfort him I sent along your wonderful ‘Great Grandmother’ chapter from “Dandelion Wine”. He sent me off an email of great thanks and told me that he would speak with me soon.

Today, (12/12/08) I received a call from him and I asked how his mother was and he told me that she had passed on a week or so ago. He also told me that he was able to speak with her before she passed away and she told him all about a man from the facility who came to visit with her at the hospice and talk and spend time with her.

My friend Arnold wanted to thank him for his kindness and asked her what his name was. She replied, “Ray” and when Arnold asked her if she knew his last name she paused, thought for a moment and then said, “Bradbury”...

My buddy almost fell to the floor and when he pressed again asking if she was sure of the name, she replied “Doran”.

Arnold called me to tell me that he truly thinks that this is all somehow connected and not a coincidence and that it was a sign that things would be alright for his mother.

Once again I must thank you Ray for easing the pain for so many people with the wonderful, heartfelt and comforting imagery that you bring to life with your amazing talents.

Best regards,

On behalf of Arnold,

Matt

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury's writing has probably inspired me in ways I still have yet to realize. I'm not a great writer but I am a magnificent reader!

Over the years I have acquired and lost many Bradbury collections through my travels and moves. Up until a few years ago, my budget only allowed for library books and an occasional splurge at a used book store where I was confined to a limited selection so my collection has still not been replenished but it is, once again, growing.

Recently, one of my boys was compelled to read Fahrenheit 451 by an amazing 10th grade English teacher. I was so excited by this that I purchased a new copy for myself. Of my three teenage boys, he was always the one whom we've considered, a "reluctant reader." We adopted him along with his younger brother when he was in Seventh grade at which time he was barely able to read on a second grade level.

While F451 is not the easiest read for a boy who is struggling, the intensity, imagery and story-line kept him plugging away so he could keep up with the class and soon he found out he was loving the book. Normally it's difficult to get my 14, 15 and 16 year old boys to carry on appropriate conversations at the dinner table but when we'd discuss the book, the other two boys felt left out and found that their curiosity was piqued.

I was pretty happy that the quiz scores on F451 were A's or B's but my proudest moment was when all three boys asked for more Ray Bradbury books for Christmas. For years I've purchased them books that I felt would inspire them to love reading and I always seemed to fail. I'm a little ashamed that I underestimated them by thinking Ray's books would be too difficult for them to follow or fall in love with, because as any fan knows, he doesn't just relay a story but he weaves a tapestry in our minds and I feared they wouldn't have the patience to let the pictures unfold as they read. I am so happy that I was wrong! Imagine their confusion when I told them that all of the stories they've enjoyed so far were written decades before cable TV was a reality!

This post is obviously more about how Ray's art has inspired my boys than about his influence in my life...but then I could write for days about it and no-one really wants that. I'm an illustrator and when I find my creativity blocked, I read passages from "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and I sketch scenes and characters until I loosen back up. Ray makes it easy to "see" it all so clearly.

One last thing...
I can only imagine how difficult it is to be a high school English teacher in a public school today. I sent my boy's teacher an email letting him know how much I appreciated his efforts, literary choices and resources he provided to his students (and parents) while introducing his students to different genres of literature. By his response, I could tell that not many parents take the time to let a teacher know that they've had a desirable impact on their child and I implore every parent to do it. It encourages the good teachers to keep on trucking and let them know that they truly make a difference.

Posts: 1 | Location: Deep South | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tricia Lew,

What a fine comment on the reaction of your sons to Ray's writing. It's one thing for you to have been inspired, but to have another generation pick up on it is marvelous. Although I no longer am involved in teaching, I really enjoyed watching young minds get excited about reading and particularly when I was able to cover the short story The Drummer Boy of Shilo which was in the text book of an 8th grade English class in a rural Minnesota school.

The students seem to enjoy hearing from Ray himself, via an interview I had conducted with him on my speaker phone.

I know that several teachers on the Board work hard to keep Ray's works in the forefront (thank you Frank).

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever I got from Farenheit 451 book and movie inspired me years later to return to academia and pursue a teaching career.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Tricia Lew and I agree with much enthusiasm!

And thanks to all of you dedicated Teachers who do shape the young, curious minds of today..

posted Hide Post
I was reading Dandelion Wine a few months back, and the only chapter that I could never stop reading is when Douglas depicts how he became alive. The second i read that, I read it another five times, then another ten, then i started shouting it aloud!

"I'm Alive!"
(even once i added on the words "He Thought")

I had been procrastinating on writing a short story dedicated to my friend that had recently passed away, when it hit me.

"I'm Alive!"

Before i could catch myself, my hand grabbed a sheet of paper and a pencil, and i wrote almost twenty pages of great material about a paticular Stop sign that loved to lie to the people that came down its road.

For it was not a Stop sign at all, it was a Dead End sign.

What nobody ever noticed was the one person who wouldn't listen to the sign's lies. He walked straight pass it, and realized one key thing.

"I'm Alive!"

I'm thinking about posting it on here...not sure though...I'd hate for someone to copy and paste it and call it their own.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kukai_Aoki:
I was reading Dandelion Wine a few months back, and the only chapter that I could never stop reading is when Douglas depicts how he became alive. The second i read that, I read it another five times, then another ten, then i started shouting it aloud!

"I'm Alive!"

A few months ago I realised I was alive and I haven't been the same since! Everyone should have such a revelation.

quote:
I'm thinking about posting it on here...not sure though...I'd hate for someone to copy and paste it and call it their own.

Copyright it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read 'Ylla" when I was 15 (1975). I had just moved to California from Ohio. It reflected my parents' relationship. It was part of 'The Martian Chronicles', purchased for me by my father, of all people. It got me turned on to science fiction. In 1997, I listened to Ray give a talk at the University of Kansas. I was the first to jump up and give him a standing ovation at the end.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kirk, welcome to the board. It's always good to hear from people whose parents are like Martians!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post