Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A medicine for melancholy

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A medicine for melancholy
 Login/Join

posted
I think all of us who love Bradbury's work were born melancholy. I might be wrong, but it seems that way- whatever strange currents flow through the womb that write the programming of our soul's hard drive set us high and dry between the cradle and the grave already sad at the loss of tomorrow's summer. Either that, or we read Bradbury so young that we get molded that way into half-sad, half-mad dervishes, unsure which way to spin under the desert sun.

I'm a singer-songwriter, and Bradbury's poetry is buried all through the music I write. I didn't realize at the time, but The Sailor Home from the Sea wormed its way into one song, and The Rocketman got transformed by a flight into whimsy into another. One of the most recent, and my favorite, ended up being called A Medicine for Melancholy.

Ray Bradbury would never, I think, have occasion to listen to any of my songs, but if he ever did, I hope he'd be flattered.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kvk: WELCOME!!

Hey, put some sample of your Bradbury inspired music online and give us a link to hear it.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks for the warm welcome!

Here's the link to the main downloads page. Unfortunately, neither The Captain and the Lady (The Sailor Home from the Sea) nor Spaceman (The Rocketman) are on there. I wrote both of those quite a long time ago, and I think they need a bit of tweaking. :-p

However, A Medicine for Melancholy is the first on the list, and has a number of Bradbury-inspired lines in it. Smiler

http://www.krayvankirk.com/downloads.asp

posted Hide Post
Welcome here on this blessed day.

We are awed by your insight and glad for your talent.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice stuff! I do some work with a local singer/songwriter who'll like your songs. Mostly I play jazz, but I love this style too. Big Fahey fan back in the day...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Yes, Fahey was a landmark. And people who can play jazz are very good players indeed!

posted Hide Post
Thanks back atcha!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every now and then, I find a book or music so darned good, I just have to take my time with it. I've listened to four songs so far on your site, kvk. They're excellent.

My son and I often share music "finds." He's a 17-year-old drummer. This morning, he had me listening to a group called The Devil Wears Prada. When that was over, I had to play A Medicine for Melancholy for him. He was transfixed, like he'd never heard music like this before.

At 52, I don't always enjoy all of my son's music, but we usually find common ground somewhere, and we both agree you sound great.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's very kind of you! Thanks so much! Smiler

posted Hide Post
kvk: we listened to many of your pieces from the site. Really very nice. Artistic!

Have you read Green Shadows, White Whale? Metaphors and imagery from your verse resound like those in Mr. B's Irish Tales.

RE: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.image...nUS234US236%26sa%3DG

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, FJP!

You know, I had no idea that Mr. Bradbury had even written that book!! I'll have to go order it- I love his stories set in Ireland. Something of his I haven't read- most excellent! Thanks!

posted Hide Post
KV: I read GS,WW several years ago while traveling up along the St. Lawrence R., a trip that ultimately brought us around the entire Gaspe' Peninsula. The book's roving themes, our travels, and my reading, done entirely by sunlight, lantern, or campfire, all made for a great experience. (Banshees, Beggars, Pubs, Wild Rides, Irish landscapes painted by RB, beautiful Deanna Durbin,...and that damned White Whale!)

May you find much to your liking. (Let us know!)

("Not" a Freudian slip, DS. A typo -- really!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You said Penisula.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post