Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Martian Chronicles audio tape.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Martian Chronicles audio tape.
 Login/Join

posted
I got to listen to it some time ago (bradbury was the reader.) I perfer it over the book. It definitely read out like a whole norman rockwell appoarch.

"to be or not to be"
will shakespeare

"...uh what's that mean."
---me

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah!!! I have that. I'd love to find His reading of THE ILLUSTRATED MAN.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the only commercial recording of Ray reading The Illustrated Man is from 1975, and is just a set of short stories including "The Illustrated Man". (i.e. it is NOT a reading of the book called The Illustrated Man.)

If you can find the tape set called "Ray Bradbury Himself: Reads 19 Complete Stories" (sometimes available via Amazon.com), you will find that one of the two tapes is that 1975 recording.

(There are other complete audiobooks of The Illustrated Man, but they are not read by Ray himself.

I think that Ray is a very good reader of his own stories. He's not an actor, but he sure gets into his role. I often find in his readings there will be a rhythm or inflection that I had not been conscious of in the text on the page.

I also think many of Ray's stories are just made to be read out loud.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I also think many of Ray's stories are just made to be read out loud.

Aye - stories are meant to be read but they're also definitely meant to be told!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

NEWMAN BOOKS-ON-CASSETTE has a version of "THE ILLUSTRATED MAN by Ray Bradbury--Reader: Ray Bradbury"
2 Cassettes 2 Hours 54 Minutes. 20050 ISBN 0-88690-005-0

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just checked that ISBN on Amazon.com, and the review text says it's read by somebody else: see here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! That's false advertising. Inside the box of my MARTIAN CHRONICLES book-on-tape there is a small catalog of other tapes available from NEWMAN which lists THE ILLUSTRATED MAN with the exact description that was in my earlier post, hence the quotation marks. I don't understand it.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
Amazon could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. It is referencing an out-of-print item which is only available used from a third-party; and the review does have the "this review refers to an out-of-print edition" disclaimer, which means it may be correct.

Anyone fancy spending the $3.99 to find out? Actually, that's not a bad idea. For me, the shipping will be more than the tapes!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I have the 1975 Illustrated Man & Martian Chronicles that I couldn't resist getting from Amazon. I love Ray both talking about the writing of Martian Chronicles and man's quest in space, and actually reading the book. It was made decades ago but it is pure gold to hear Ray read his book. He acts out all the parts so purely, it is amazing. The way he changes his voice on different characters is great!

Sidebar: About five people at my work have read F-451 and were really surprised how amazing it was! Now, Laura, a friend and coworker, came up to me and excitedly told me she is reading Martian Chronicles and how much she is loving it. You should have seen how excited and happy she was telling me about it! I completely love to watch as people get turned on to Ray Bradbury for the first time ever. I just tell them it gets better and better.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just succumbed to the financial logic of my earlier post, and ordered a used copy of the Illustrated Man tapes. If they turn out to be a recording of the whole book (or even just part of it) read by RB, I will be overjoyed at the bargain. (Even more so, with the highly favourable dollar-pound exchange rate we currently enjoy.)

If it turns out to be read by someone else, I will be heard to say "aww, rats".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Borders called to say that my copy of The Martian Chronicles CD is in, but I did not have time to stop by and pick it up. Can't wait to listen to it.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Amazon makes mistakes. There was one book of a set of classics illustrated by Jessie Willcox Smith, and they mistakenly listed EVERY book in that set as illustrated by her, even those whose sellers had NOT listed them that way! I ordered several due to this error and quite a lot of mixup had to be corrected!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just started the Martian Chronicles (from cover to cover) with audio tapes read by Maikel Bailey (BOT version, 1988). I think I got them on the Bay for a few dollars. 6 cassettes, we listen and read along for about 15-20 minutes each class. Captivated frosh...now that's saying something! Numerous RBTh and selections from videos will supplement the unit.

I thought we could do masks at some point as a project, and students can write and do orals on the meaning and mythology of their specific "Martian" character.
(Bring on Spender!)

We stop for discussions and comments on style and interpretations. This should set them up well for IM, DW later in the semester. Thanks, Mr. B, for the pure pleasure!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could do those things at my job!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally received the second-hand ILLUSTRATED MAN tapes I referred to above. Ray Bradbury is indeed the reader!

However, despite the title it's NOT a reading of the book of the same name, but a collection of short stories from various sources. I haven't had time to compare, but I strongly suspect the recordings have been extracted from FANTASTIC TALES OF RAY BRADBURY, which I already own.

- Phil