Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    best Gauntlet Press editions

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best Gauntlet Press editions
 Login/Join

posted
Last summer, Mercier Press, a publishing house here in Ireland, sent my own measly little offering, a short story collection called In Exile, out into the great wide literary world. While it hasn't topped any bestsellers lists, I am eagerly awaiting a modest royalties check, and I've decided that, by way of celebration, I will invest a goodly slice of the pie on one of those long lusted-after Gauntlet Press editions.
I was wondering if anyone here might be able to advise me on which of the still-available editions would be a good choice.
Thanks and best wishes to all,
Billy O'Callaghan

Posts: 14 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark Carnival. You can still get a PC copy with slipcase signed by RB and Clive Barker for $500.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Doug, and Dark Carnival would be perfect, but unfortunately $500 is more than I can afford to spend. I'll have to 'settle' (and I'll happily do so) for one of the less expensive books, say those for around $100. At the moment, based solely on what I can see on their website, I'm leaning towards either 'Match To Flame', 'It Came From Outer Space' or 'Masks'.
Also, I'm wondering about the added cost of the slipcases...

Posts: 14 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Match and It Came From would have been my next suggestions.

I have one of Dark Carnival but only a proof of Masks.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a lovely dilemma, and one that will probably be decided in the end by the toss of a coin...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Dark Carnival. You can still get a PC copy with slipcase signed by RB and Clive Barker for $500.
Just out of curiosity, what is the PC (Publisher's Copy), exactly? How does it compare to either the numbered edition (which has long been completely sold out; can't even find any copies on the secondary market now), or the lettered edition, which is still available from Gauntlet for $1000 a pop?

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know - maybe it's sort of like a proof. Perhaps someone here knows.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, if you were prepared to fork out $225, you have until the 20th - tomorrow - to pre-order the limited edition of The Martian Chronicles at a special price. After that, it will cost $300. It'll be a great book, for sure.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Just out of curiosity, what is the PC (Publisher's Copy), exactly? How does it compare to either the numbered edition (which has long been completely sold out; can't even find any copies on the secondary market now), or the lettered edition, which is still available from Gauntlet for $1000 a pop?

As a general rule, a PC copy will have PC written in where the number would normally go. Other than that, it should be identical to the numbered edition. PC copies are often given to the author.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
Well, if you were prepared to fork out $225, you have until the 20th - tomorrow - to pre-order the limited edition of The Martian Chronicles at a special price. After that, it will cost $300. It'll be a great book, for sure.

Well, in the end, this was the option I took, I signed up, paid my lump through paypal, and am now counting down the days. I hate the idea of wishing away an entire year (especially now that they are beginning to turn increasingly precious...) but what else can we do?
An expanded edition of the Martian Chronicles is truly a mouth-watering prospect!

posted Hide Post
I got "Dark Carnival" back in the day. It is great.

I WISH I could afford "Masks" and "Match to Flame". I'm shuddering with frustration at not being able to get those two . . .

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
I got "Dark Carnival" back in the day...

You are not old enough to have gotten Dark Carnival in 1947. Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Mr Dark means the special edition of Dark Carnival, 7 or 8 years ago. I got that one! It may be the only limited edition I order for some time. If you guys think these books are expensive, try living in Africa and paying for them with our currency - PLUS the costs of hauling the book over here, PLUS import duty. I still have a nosebleed from paying for Dark Carnival ... but I don't regret it for a second.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the one I meant. Thanks, JKT. I don't get told I'm too young to have done something very often any more. My kids can't IMAGINE life before the microwave. I think they thought they used them in the civil war. I'd love to have an original Dark Carnival, but the edition I got was fantastic (I got two, actually).

Still want "Match to Flame" and "Masks", though . . .

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not alone! I, too, would love them both but now with being retired and on limited income, I have to save now for such.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post