Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Good Day
 Login/Join

posted
My name is Jack Bandemer, and I have to admit that I have been a fan of your work for nearly forty years.

Recently, I had the good fortune to read Sam Weller's "The Bradbury Chronicles", and found it to be nearly as fascinating a story as any that you ever wrote.

Your work and the story of your life have been an inspiration to me. I read my first of your stories when I was in grade school--a student copy of "Frost and Fire" that my older brother was reading for a high school compostion class.

I was hooked. I saved my lunch money and my meager allowance, and quickly snatched up copies of "R is for Rocket" and "S is for Space"; however, it wasn't until I was about fourteen that I found the book that would become one of my favorite works of all time.

The last day of school, I was walking out of the gothic castle that we called the Junior High School, and noticed a small pile of books atop one of the outside trash cans. Being raised in a family where books were held in higher esteem than we ourselves, I felt compelled to rescue them. The three books that I rescued that day were "The Crystal Cave", by Mary Stewart; "Lord of the Flies", by William Golding; and the golden treasure of the lot, a slim volume heavy with LIFE, "Dandelion Wine."

Since that time, I have read whatever I could by you. I recently picked up a new copy of "Dandelion Wine," since my fifteen year old son loved it so much that he would not return to me the copy he borrowed (and because I had sent another copy to my father, who had never read it, but subsequently told me that it was one of the best books he'd ever read); I also found a hardcover copy of "The Martian Chronicles", to replace my well-read and worn out paperback copy. I also picked up the trade paperback "Bradbury Stories," "Driving Blind," "From the Dust Returned" and "Cat's Pajamas". My reading list is now filled for the next few months as I eagerly anticipate the newer fiction included in these volumes, as well as revisiting old friends that I met for the first time through your words.

Your writing has meant a lot to me over the years. Your stories are those that I return to most often when I feel the need to be touched by humanity in this often lonely world. Your gentle wisdom and command of the language have helped me in my own sophomoric writing efforts.

I just feel the need to say a resounding and heartfelt "thank you" for sharing yourself with the world through words. This often dreary and dismal world would be a much poorer place but for you. You are, without a doubt, among the finest writers of all time. I look forward to reading--and re-reading--your stories for the rest of my life.

Jack
aimless@tds.net

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board, Jack!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's always a welcome and room for a fan with true appreciation!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey aimlessrambler I thought that you were rather right to the point!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post