Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A do-over: The Martian Chronicles-the movie
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A do-over: The Martian Chronicles-the movie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Where's Fellini when you need him?

Shall always remember the images from 'Juliet of the Spirits'. Oh! what he could have done with 'The Martian Chronicles'...or 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'...

(Ray did ask Fellini to someday do a project. And I believe ...someone correct me out there, Sam?...I believe Fellini did say something on the order of, "Yes, someday...!")

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, Nard.
Happy Christmas everyone.

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was out during the holidays. How is everyone?
Now, how do we handle the Martian language?

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the Martian language should "sound" like Thai. My brother lived in Thailand and mastered the language. It sounded like music. I used to love to hear him speak it or read aloud in Thai. High, lilting, tones, with multiple intonations and the extenuation of certain syllables. Very, very pretty.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, musical and more vowels and soft consonants sound right.

posted Hide Post
A teeny bit off-topic, but so priceless I just had to post it. On tonight's episode of the USA-TV series "Monk," Monk and his assistant Sharona are visiting a film set. As they're being driven on one of those golf cart conveyances, a guy says, "Hey" to the driver and Sharona asks, "Is he anybody?" Driver, with a bored, dismissive expression, "Nah, just a writer."

Submitted for your approval: a little jab at how writers are regarded in Hollywood. Of COURSE, a writer WROTE it, but what can I say? I love it!

(Let's pray that someone with a regard for the writer does all Ray's films from now on!)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,
Since Hemingway is being discussed on this board, I see nothing wrong with bringing up an episode from "Monk." I am a big fan of the show, and rate the acting and writing top notch! In my opinion, the episode about Monk and his agoraphobic brother is award- winning.

[This message has been edited by Green Shadow (edited 01-31-2004).]

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, Green Shadow. that episode is worthy of an Emmy, as is the entire show. It's nice to tune in and see something so different from most shows.

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 01-31-2004).]

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that episode nominated for any Emmys? It certainly should have been! This show is WAY too good for the "big three" TV networks (which I don't watch and haven't since "Freaks and Geeks" was cancelled.) It's just this sort of offbeat approach that's needed regarding Ray's work.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharona, Monk's side-kick, should win an Emmy, too. Or a Golden Globe. What a great actress! The blending of her character with his is funny and electric.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who was the little boy who seemed to be with Sharona when they visited the set? I assumed he was some sort of relative, but he looked too old for a son and too young for a brother. Sorry, but I haven't been a regular viewer. When I was in California to see Ray I met a guy whose sister I knew, who said he was in it. I haven't spotted him yet, but there are an awful lot of guys wandering around in the background at the station. I should try to get in touch with his sister and ask.

posted Hide Post
She does have a son on the show, although I haven't seen the episode you mentioned.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if that was him, she had him when she was 12.

posted Hide Post
I still think the 1979 mini series version broadcasted by NBC was good. Granted, the special effects (i.e. space shots) could have been better. But as far as the rest of the mini-series is concerned, I enjoyed it. It would be impossible to make a film out of it, like originally planned. If Sci-Fi Channel did a mini-series version, it would not be all that hot. Look at how Sci-Fi Channel ruined Battlestar Galactica with that terrible re-imagining. I'd say, it's best to leave The Martian Chronicles alone. Too much classic science fiction is being ruined these days, with all of these re-makes and re-imaginings.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why it needs to be done by people like us.