Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A do-over: The Martian Chronicles-the movie
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A do-over: The Martian Chronicles-the movie
 Login/Join

posted
Isn't it time that time that "The Martian Chronicles" are done over as a film?

In the last few days, I've been on the sites of five special effects houses. And I know "... Chronicles", can be turned into a terrific movie.

Posts: 1 | Location: Twentynine Palms, CA | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! But it has to be done right!

Heres to hoping one day my film asperations will take me that far!

Posts: 6 | Location: los angeles, CA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there talk here of someone planning one?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a suspicion that The Martian Chronicles won't ever work as a movie. It's not really a novel, and some of the stories don't really "match".

The only solution is to take more focused episodes, such as "The Lost City of Mars" (which wasn't in the original Chronicles). I still think the ultimate Bradbury movie would be Frost and Fire.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard a number of times over the past few years that a "Martian Chronicles" script was in the works, but so far nothing seems to have come of it.

This is a difficult book to translate into a two or three hour film, due to the episodic nature of the source material. Writing a script would be very difficult; to get it to come together into a cohesive whole while keeping all the best stories intact from the book would be quite a job.

In this case, the mini-series format would serve the material better, I think. (But a better mini-series than the first go-round!) Problem is, the days of the long mini-series is past. I can't imagine one of the three major television networks attempting it. Maybe the Sci-Fi channel would--but a lot of their original programming is rather sub-par. I'm not sure I would trust them with the material!

Even better, how about a limited-run series? Something in hour-long installments, running for between ten and fifteen episodes? This could also incorporate some of the best Mars stories that weren't in the original book. (Well, the stories that don't contradict the chapters from the book. I've mentioned before that I'm particularly fond of "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed," but that story simply couldn't ever fit into the main fabric of a "Martian Chronicles" film.)

However it would be done, I'd love to see it--but I don't know that it will ever happen...

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an idea a while back of doing a progressive rock concept album based on frost and fire. Hmm...

It sounds like we have some film makers in here. I too make films. We should all get together sometime, if possible, and come up with something.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon,

I've written screenplays. (Nope. None produced. Still think they're good though.) Let me know how I can help.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pterran,
I have actually been writing a lot over the past several months. It really feels good when you find your voice, doesn't it. It's becoming my new joy. I always wrote here and there, but ideas were so hard to come by, and executing those few precious ideas was harder still. Now I feel as if the floodgates have been opened. It comes with age I guess. I used to worry when I heard of all the greats writing or drawing or making great films since they were four or five, figuring I was way behind. I started re-reading the October Country today, in celebration of October, and in the forward, Ray says that he didn't really get that grasp 'till he was 22 or 23. Well, I'm 23, so I don't think I have too much of a problem. No matter how long it takes, though, once you find that groove, there's no stopping you. I'd love to read some of your stuff, and, in fact, any other stuff written by people on this site. Maybe we could put together an anthology of stories and poems by Bradbury fans, or work together on some short films or something. I have a few short films I'm making as we speak. I'm shooting one of them this weekend, if all goes well. Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll talk to ya later.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will life be found on Mars, ...I mean Earth? http://amesnews.arc.nasa.gov/releases/2003/03_87AR.html

Location, location, location!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The day draws near when Mr. Bradbury will get another even closer look and his words will be capture by present day technology for all to see. Having taught MC, I can hardly wait for the newest images to be sent back to earth. Bigger, bolder, and more revealing!
NEWS: click on "updatedRealvison video version" after going to - http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/video/animation.html

(I had a student a number of years ago who was a part of the team of scientists who designed and developed the inflatable (bouncing) capsule for the Rover's landing on the surface of the planet.)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-03-2003).]

posted Hide Post
A Christmas Present: How appropriate!! http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000726.asp?vts=120420030904

See the slide show in "big scale."

posted Hide Post
I, too, have just started writing--with intent, that is. I've been in a band for a few years and written some lyrics and poems and what not, but I have only recently begun writing short stories or whatever else may happen into my mind. I'm still trying to finish a story I've been working on. Anyway, it's good to see that so many people are writing and enjoying that fantastic part of life that let's one explore endlessly the far reaches of the mind, heart and spirit. Keep it up!

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon,
As for the writing voice coming with age and getting a late start writing, my dad recently told me of an interview he saw on tv of a writer. The man is in his 60s and has only just now published his first book--an idea he apparently had for a book most of his life, but never bothered to write it down until now. Amazing, huh?

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yestermorrow,
In a band? What instrument(s) do you play? Style of music? Are you currently working with a band?
Music is one of my great loves/addictions. Though not currently with a band, I play piano, guitar, bass, a little drums, etc. Just the basic rock instruments. Piano's my best, but in bands I usually play bass. I love progressive rock.

posted Hide Post
groon,
My instrument of choice, which I also play in the band, is the guitar. I do some rhythm and some lead work, though the other guitarist/vocalist takes the cake when it comes to soloing. I have also played a little bass and some piano, and I sing harmony vocals in the band, but I do some solo stuff with my acoustic where I do the singing. I've been in a band with the same guy for about four or five years, with various others joining us. The current group we've got going has been together almost two years. We still play, but the problem is that two of us, myself and the guy i've been with for so long, are in college in different states, so we only play on breaks. We love rock, and we throw some blusey and jazzy stuff in there, along with whatever else we come up with. Aside from the band, we both play classical guitars.