Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Message From Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Message From Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
That is a great cover! Thanks for pointing it out for us!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a cool cover, but I shudder at the thought of setting foot inside Walmart!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who fear to step inside Walmart, here's what you would see there:

I notice that Amazon also have Sam's book listed now, but without the cover picture.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 12-15-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil, for putting the cover art up! You're awesome.

A few more details.....

The picture (never before published) was taken in the late 1960s by a gentleman (and good friend of Ray's) named Ralph Nelson. Mr. Nelson also took the very dramatic publicity shot of Ray that was used with "I Sing the Body Electric." You may recall the photo with Ray's face half in shadow, half in light. Mr. Nelson was kind enough to let me use his photo for the book. I really wanted a younger era Ray Bradbury, but still a recognizable Ray Bradbury. I think we achieved that with this photograph. The other half of Ray's face goes around the binding and to the back cover. It was important that the cover was clean and could be seen from across an aisle of a bookstore.

I can assure all of you that there are many other never before published or rarely published photos within the book that span the entirety of Ray's life. I've also found some really cool documents that will be reproduced. I wish I had twice as much space for pictures. Hopefully a deluxe edition will afford this opportunity.

One other note for Windy City or Midwest fans (or fans willing to travel), it looks like Ray will be back in the heartland the weekend of April 16. We are setting up details for a launch party and a book singing as we speak. I'll keep everyone posted and, of course, as RB Board friends, you will be invited to the private launch.

Happy Holidays,

Sam

[This message has been edited by Sam Weller (edited 12-15-2004).]

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the information, Sam. I will definitely be there to see Ray and to meet you. I can't wait to read your book!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also very anxious to read your biography!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Weller:
and a book singing as we speak.

Wow, pictures AND music!

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 12-16-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam and Phil,

Great cover! Makes me want my copy NOW!

Also, Phil, your RB site is a sight to behold. Thanks for all the great work that benefits us all.

When I look at ALL the book covers, I want to see them, up close and personal,in a traveling art exhibit.

Has that ever been done? If not, maybe someone out there could make that come true someday...the Shadow dreams.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam, thanks for the projected date. OK, Guys! Whose going???

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose that all depends on where in the Midwest! I'm one of those people who tries to avoid the Chicagoland area like the plague (Those flatlanders drive like maniacs!!) because I'm not very familiar with the city (I can get to the Museum of Science and Industry and that's about it!) and those drivers scare me.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey! Great!!

Sam:
What's the story with the Waukegan Library? Is this trip part of plans with the library in Waukegan?

I'll be there.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam,

When you have specifics I will beg, borrow, or steal (well, maybe not that) the money to catch a flight to the Chicago area.

Actually I love the Chicago area, have driven through there many times and find it not unlike driving down here in Florida, where it is really nuts.

Great cover for a great book! With Ray feeling better and becoming more mobile, what could a person really want.

As far as the book covers go, Green Shadow, I am sure that you are aware of Jerry Weist's "The Illustrated Bradbury," which features many of the covers and the beautiful artwork gracing them.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane,

Yes, I have that book. I was just day dreaming about a traveling exhibit that might grace museums across the country.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I admit it--I'm one of those flatlanders who drives like a maniac. I've learned to drive that way just to survive the Chicagoland expressways, and yes, I recently emerged from driving probation for a very expensive speeding ticket. (86 in a 65) But I will definitely be at any booksigning, author appearance, etc. to meet Sam and to see Ray again. I first saw him at a booksigning in Chicago at a sci fi/fantasy bookstore called "Stars Our Destination." I can't wait to see him again, and yes, I will drive like a maniac to get there!! But of course it's all those other guys that are the crazy drivers!!

posted Hide Post
lmskipper, you know what George Carlin says - anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot and anyone who drives faster is a maniac! (To be honest, I don't even like driving in downtown Milwaukee and I work down there!)
I suppose it all depends on the day/time, whether or not I'd brave driving to Chicago.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post