Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Message From Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Message From Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
After living in Minnesota for 28 years I love it here in Florida, but now envy those of you who live within driving distance of Chicago.

Hopefully, Sam will be able to come down here on his book promotion tour as there are a ton of Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Books A Millon, etc.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Korby, just take the train down, and I'll pick you up. One of my friends that rides with me says she'll never need a face lift as long as she rides with me!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be scared to death of flying (still don't like it much), until I landed after three perfectly good flights. My brother picked me up at the airport and the freeways (LA/Orange County) were jammed. He jumped up onto the median shoulder and was going 105 miles per hour -- on the median.

I lost my fear of flying that day.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The train, now there's an idea! Never thought of that!

Mr. Dark, I'm not a fan of flying, either. I've had to do it enough in the last 3 years that I've gotten somewhat used to it (I no longer have a death grip on the armrests the entire flight!), but I still don't like it!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone is staying but a day or two in Chicago,when Ray is in town, I may have room for your stay here in Chicago. I'm 15 minute walking distance from Midway Airport, and about 10 miles from downtown Chicago. If Ray signs anything at the Border's Books on North Michigan Ave., where he has signed in years previous, that's about 12 miles away. Most trains are downtown Chicago.
You can email me at:
b.kordell@comcast.net

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-18-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met him at "Stars Our Destination" on Belmont, but that location is closed, and I believe they now have one in Evanston. It's a really cool bookstore for only sci fi/fantasy books. I would prefer somewhere unique like that over Borders, but I'll go anywhere he goes. Hey, Nard, maybe we can have a Bradbury slumber party at your house!! (Just kidding, I'm very close to Chicago, but I'll be looking forward to meeting you at the bookstore.) I hope loads of the regulars can meet there!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, THE STARS ARE DESTINATION Evanston, Illinois store closed...I believe in 2003. (Ray did two memorable signings at its prior Belmont location in Chicago.) I for one certainly miss the store, not just for the books but also for the lively discussons that would often take place among the owner, employees and customers, most of whom had a real passion for science fiction and fantasy. The store went to all mail order and then shut down for good. In the face of competition from huge chains like Borders and Barnes & Noble, and internet giants like Amazon.com, this is becoming the fate of more and more small, independent bookstores.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 12-19-2004).]

Posts: 2468 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Richard. I moved out of the city two years ago and feel a bit out of the loop. (No pun intended.) That was a great bookstore, and it makes me so sad that the smaller merchants are becoming like dinosaurs. Borders stores are nice, but so impersonal.

posted Hide Post
Hey Ray Bradbury,
I was writing because I started reading Fahreheit 451 and it's a really interesting book I like it because it makes you think. So I was wondering what was on your mind when you decided to write Fahrenheit 451? Did you notice this in real life all your life or did you just always want to write about this? It is a very good book and I hope I get to read many more. Thank you for you time.
Sincerly, Big Grin Katie AKA Quesadilla Smiler

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quesadilla, I have posted a letter from Ray to an exchange student who wrote a paper on Ray. In the letter he explains why he wrote F451. I am not sure which thread it is on but it was only a week or so ago that I posted it. If I cann find it I will let you know what to look for.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks and please let me know because I its for a school project too

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quesadilla, here is the thread biplane 1 was referring to:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...551021012#7551021012

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post