Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    need help please
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help please
 Login/Join

posted
in

-there will come soft rains
-embroidery
-the pedestrian
-the invisible boy
-the luggage store

what is the message ray is giving in these stories?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 31 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Please read my stories, all will be revealed."

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have read them -.-

posted Hide Post
By far the most difficult is "Invisible Boy." It reads like a simple kids' story, but I never understood it as a kid and had to have it explained when I was older, despite being an avid Bradbury reader.

The first two are the most obvious: they are anti-nuclear war stories, showing the real human devastation brought on when the forces in power choose to employ these methods.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the 2nd one 'there will come soft rains' was about technologically advanced houses gone wrong.

posted Hide Post
It wasn't the house gone wrong, it was the situation. With the occupants gone, the house had no one to serve.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
embroidery:

everything hangs by a thread

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A stitch in time saves nine.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The childhood experiences of Ralph Ellison.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got me stumped! I guess I will have to read Embroidery once again.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, those are good ones!

posted Hide Post
Hey, man, everyone is talking about my family and friends. So I thought I'd better check in to see what's happening here.

Not!

Actually I got all wrapped up accidentally in a ball of twine and have been trying to get untwined and now have only been simply stringing along to see what sort of yarn I could come up with and, darn, I've got EMBROIDERY!!

And to think, I actually stayed home for the Holidays.

Ray's short story, Embroidery, still ranks as my favorite end of the world stories, or end of a particular civilization, or country, or political system, or simply, the beginning of the war to end all the aforementioned. It is a grand demonstration on such a micro scale of Ray's talent and genius.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ball of twine you say. Wait until I am home and can post a photo of what was once the largest ball of twine in the country located in Darwin, Minnesota.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH NO!!! Not the slideshow, again!

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the world's largest ball of twine. Being played with by the world's largest ...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post