Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    If Dandelion Wine Was A Real Live Movie
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If Dandelion Wine Was A Real Live Movie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My first thought was "Tucker: A Man and His Dream" directed by Francis Ford Coppola. After I saw it when it came out many years ago I wrote to Ray and suggested Coppola as a director for a DW movie. Ray didn't like the idea much. Oh well. I did write a script adapted from DW and sent it to Ray for his 75th birthday. He said it was a 'masterpiece' but he always says things like that. That's why I love him.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Tucker" was great. I was very sorry Coppola didn't do better on "The Outsiders." He was blessed with a wonderful story and fantastic cast and came out with just a so-so movie.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved Tucker as well. Too bad it didn't get more visibility.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic,

Amazing stuff! Thanks.

I knew some of it, but not all. The one that made me laugh out loud was the warning not to call someone a "fine colleen."

Weighing in on Dandelion Wine as a potential movie, don't attempt it. It would never translate, and the beauty and sentiment would be lost. Reading it will be the only "film" I would ever want to see.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You folks are beginning to make me wonder if I really want it made into a film at all. Maybe it is best left alone.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. Everytime they show 'Tucker' on cable it gets a lot of viewers. I also noticed that Acura or one of those guys finally offered the moving headlights as an option on their cars... Smiler

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With technology the way it’s going and downsizing, I hope our children don’t see a time when you go to a movie at the local sixteen theatre multiplex, where the lobby is virtually empty because most people are staying home with DVD’s, there are no salespeople, attendants or ushers, you swipe a card for your ticket, go threw a turnstile door, swipe a card for your popcorn and soda, go to the theatre turnstile door and swipe your ticket to get in and find that you’re the only one there because it’s a movie from a short story by a famous author that had budget problems and practically no advertising and it’s title is something about a flower and a drink and then you find that all the music, backgrounds and actors are digitized. “The horror!”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31 you do paint a dire picture. I have many fond memories of theatres from many years ago. There was one, I believe The Capitol, that had a curving staircase to the second floor where there were chairs, comfortable ones, and the restrooms.

My dad had stories of the Rialto when they would take sections of rubber hose to kill the rats that frequented the place.

I can't remember from your previous posts if you are a young man or a young lady, but I think it is cute how you misspelled "threw" instead of "through." And I know that you know the correct spelling, but it is interesting how we can be typing along so quickly and inadvertently put the right sounding word down, but the wrong spelling.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1,

The scenario I described is all too possible I fear but have confidence that my son’s generation won’t let it happen. Your description brings back warm memories of neighborhood walks to the Main Street Theater with my parents and brother, the aroma the popcorn had when you walked in (in those days) and the civilized appearance of the place.

As far as my gender goes; I’m just a mild mannered soon to be geezer about town who is astounded that he mispilled that word but my being a “boy chile”, as Walt Kelly used to say, I guess the error, rather than “cute” would better be described as bully.

I understand we both did some work for the government in Southeast Asia. Was it in 1968?

My very best to you!

posted Hide Post
Recently saw the film “Dreamer” and portions of it made me feel the way I felt when reading “Dandelion Wine”. I still have hope.

posted Hide Post
Oh, hey, are we telling theater horror stories? Okay, I have a couple. On my dad's first movie date in high school, he removed his shoes, which were new and a bit tight, in the theater. When the lights came back up, one shoe was missing! Seems the resident pack rats liked shiny things, heh-heh.

When I saw the first Harry Potter movie, I thought, I don't want to go right off and be inundated by a bunch of germy kids, so I waited till a showing during the day several weeks after the film opened. And I WAS the ONLY one in the theater! It was quite an experience and one of my favorite movie memories.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be sure to wear dull shoes the next time I go. Shudder!

posted Hide Post
I still haven’t given up the idea of “Dandelion Wine” being made into a film that does the book justice. Back on September 26, 2005 on this thread, I mentioned that I would want it to have the same qualities as “To Kill A Mockingbird”. There is one other film that comes to mind, the Wonderworks 1985 production of “Ann of Green Gables”, directed by Kevin Sullivan. I think he would be a good choice to bring “Dandelion Wine” to the screen.