Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Jar
 Login/Join

posted
Being plagued with insomnia, I happened to be awake about (I think it was) 1 a.m. this morning. I started switching channels to see if there was anything worthwhile on (there seldom is, at that hour, unless you like "Extenze" infomercials or "Girls Gone Wild"), and I came across an old black and white Alfred Hitchcock. To my delight, I saw that they were going to run "The Jar," which I have not seen I think since it first ran way back in the stone age. I remembered the plot (having read Mr. Bradbury's story since), but I had forgotten how many really great character actors were in it--Collin Wilcox (boy, she was a hot number!), William Marshall with his miraculous voice, wonderful Jane Darwell, and my special favorite, Slim Pickens. What a great show that was! (For God's sake, Jadoo, pull him out of that quicksand LOL!!!)

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Viktoria ~ next time insomnia sneaks in for a visit...stay up until the sun comes up and then sets again, with some of these:

http://www.fancast.com/tv/Alfred-Hitchcock-Presents/976...ideos?autoPlay=false

As for "The Jar" has anyone read Ambrose Bierce's "The Damned Thing"? Similar in an old wilderness, pioneer kind of way! http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/L_damned.htm

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it is not polite to brag but I've had the honor of holding THE JAR. "Here Kitty Kitty."

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to hold The Jar.

Jadoo is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I've been seeking a reasonable facsimile of the Jar, but whenever I say all I want is a glass jar with a glass lid large enough to hold a human head, people look at me funny. So far all I have a reasonable facsimile of is a human head.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...but whenever I say all I want is a glass jar with a glass lid large enough to hold a human head, people look at me funny.

If I were a vulgar person, I would say LMFAO.

But I'm not.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were a vulgar person, I would understand what LMFAO means.

But I'm not.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, so THE "Jar" actually still exists! That's so great! I had wondered about that sometimes. I also wonder if that great portrait of "The Grim Reaper" from that classic "Thriller" episode still exists somewhere. Also the portrait of "Laura" from the movie of the same name. That landscape that always hung behind the front door of the Ponderosa ranch house. The portrait of Captain Gregg from "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (movie and TV show). And on and on and on--

posted Hide Post
Philnic:

(LMFAO) = Laughing my f------ a-- off . . .

If I understand the vernacular, that is.

By the way, how is Great Britain doing? What's this I hear about the top tax bracket going to 61%? Say it ain't so!

Doug:

I'm shocked. Shocked! Red Face)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viktoria, if you ever get to Chicago and have any interest in seeing Ivan Albright's fantastic portrait of the decaying Dorian Gray that appeared in the 1945 MGM film of Oscar Wilde's novel, THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY, it is hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_DAy7qjitY-Y/R79MWmEmQBI/AAAAAAA...by+Ivan+Albright.jpg

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is Bradburyesque!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viktoria:
jkt, so THE "Jar" actually still exists! That's so great! (snip)

There were two jars, the one at the beginning of the episode and the one at the end of the episode. Mr. B has the one from the end of the program. Given to him by Norman Lloyd...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
If I were a vulgar person, I would understand what LMFAO means.

But I'm not.

Likely it could be an American vulgarity.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Doug:

I'm shocked. Shocked! Red Face)

But I didn't say what the "F" stood for!

I sometimes try to shock people, just to see their reactions.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
jkt, that's fantastic about the "Dorian Gray" portrait! As I am a "nontraditional student," (they used to call us "older returning students," but that's non-PC, I guess)I just read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" last year. Of course, I was familiar with a lot of the many bon mots scattered throughout the story, but I didn't know they came from this story, especially the one about the only way to deal with temptation is to give in to it LOL! What a brilliant man Oscar Wilde was--and such a sad end. I just recently saw the movie on TCM. Thanks for the info, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!