Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray gets tough...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray gets tough...
 Login/Join

posted
Not only is Mr. Bradbury one of the most gifted writers of our time, but he is also one of the most avid proponents of anti-censorship (if you've read Fahrenheit, then this should be obvious. I just love the comment he recently made toward a "christian" proclaiming that the Harry Potter books promote witchcraft; books that this person subsequently sets fire to: "He [Taylor] doesn't know what witchcraft is," says Bradbury. "It's about wits. There's nothing wrong with the Potter books, because they're not promoting witchcraft. They're promoting being wise." Regarding Taylor himself, Bradbury is succinct: "He sounds like a stupid man. He just shoots off his mouth, and he should just go somewhere, sit down and shut up."
For the full article link here: http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/11/30/book-burnin...ooks06_1201burn.html

Ray Bradbury is freakin' AWESOME.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freakin-A right he's awesome! He more than any author promotes not only being wise, but protecting these things which would seem "quaint" and outdated (things such as real live Christmas trees) to others who would have us abandon them in order to make true progress. Since when should we have to break the law to have a live Christmas tree in our house. It's coming, another 20 years or so, and I'm not sure how to go about fighting it. They'll probably be so darn expensive by then you wouldn't want one anyway. You see, their subliminal propoganda has already begun. Where's my tinfoil hat?

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ray Bradbury is indeed freakin' AWESOME!

Did you see some of the photos of the "burners" and "cutters" on the ala website above? These are the people who really frighten me.

Scary!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains said:

quote:
Since when should we have to break the law to have a live Christmas tree in our house. It's coming, another 20 years or so, and I'm not sure how to go about fighting it.

No problem, Grasstains. Plant a few in your yard and harvest one per year...

Those people who promote the banning of books and set themselves up as the Judges Of What Is Acceptable To Read really make me ill. Mad I like it that Ray gave them 'what for'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re the Forbes article: it is heartening to know that in at least two American towns (Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Lewiston, Maine) you have to get a PERMIT to burn books!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No problem, Grasstains. Plant a few in your yard and harvest one per year...

With my luck a Spotted Owl or Screaming Butterfly would take up residence in the tree. To be honest, I'm a flaming treehugger and have had a fake tree for several years. But that's only because a lot of people, myself included, have allergies. Year after year Ex-Spouse and I would both be sick every single Christmas. I thought we had SAD, that Seasonal Anxiety Disorder dealio, but after we split up and I eventually stumbled into current Spouse's life 8 years ago, who has always had fake trees because of allergies, I've never been sick during Christmas. Ex-Spouse is still buying real trees and is still sick every year. Hee, hee, hee.Smiler

================================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grassy, I actually get a wee bit queasy or head-achy from some plastic effluvia, not so with real live trees. I can taste and smell the outgassing of a styrofoam cup containing a hot beverage, too.
However, I know a few people who had to move out of our clearing in the redwood forest here, owing to their sensitivity to various autochthonous pollens, molds, etc.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the book burners should use their living rooms to hold the bonfires. (lol)

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CENSORSHIP?

There are all kinds of Censorship!

I went to a very large mall today here in Orange County, California, the Mission Viejo Mall. And went to a good size greeting card store in the Mall...and of course, nearly ALL they had were Christmas Greeting Cards. And I thought, I better get a few. It's getting late. So I started at one end of the store and worked my way all around, thru the display tables, shelves, etc etc. And guess what? I had to go ask the clerk: "Hey, do you guys have any religious Christmas cards? Or only secular non-religious Christmas cards?" To which she replied, "Oh, they are right there on the other side of the cash register." So I went around by the cash register and there were none. So she came on over and started looking and said, "Look, there's some cards with an angel on it." To which my question now became a statement of fact: " So no religious Christmas card. Just the non-religious, secular kind!" To which she became a bit disgusted, and walked away.

And now tell me that isn't CENSORSHIP. Come on all you liberals. Let's hear it now.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Nard, I resent the way our important cultural festivities have been hijacked here in northern Europe.

Not since AD354, when the Christians hijacked Yule, has it been possible to celebrate the winter festival in the traditional, pagan manner.

And finding cards without 'angels', and some 'Saint' called Nicholas, has become difficult in the extreme...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know if this has been posted yet, (and forgive me if it has) but uhhh...

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17270600&...g=461&dept_id=532215

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic:

Certainly Christmas has become a farce, the way it is nowadays celebrated. Yep, lots of the founding fathers turned their heads away from the depths to which the celebration of Christmas had taken. Imagine today!! Many symbols come from the non-christian sources. Celebrating the birth of Jesus born into his own creation, is missed by the vast celebrants of today.

WildGravity:
I can understand the thinking of parents like the ones mentioned in the article. Aside from not reading the book, they are up against an impossible fight: protecting their kids from society. Impossible! Legalistic churches tend to deal with impossible situations with extremely difficult measures.
Better yet, to learn about the realities of this fallen world and at the same time knowing how to deal with it within the framework of Christ's love, is the way.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are some of us here trying out for the part of Ebenezer in 'A Christmas Carol'?

Special Christmas Cards: Go to Hallmark. They have everything.

Christmas no longer valid? Did I hear this?
The thing that makes Christmas different is the variety of ways people celebrate it. Many would surprise you with their generosity and love.

The Spirit of Christmas is still alive in more places than you would imagine...year after year.

Start with the person you see each morning in the mirror, and don't worry about how others may celebrate. Christmas is a holiday with flexibility. Celebrate in YOUR way. Watch good Christmas films if you need reminders and you'll forget all that Scrooge stuff. Smiler

posted Hide Post
Well said, Robert.

Even if some of us are being Scrooges, remember that EVEN Scrooge stopped being sour at Christmas. Eventually!

- Phil