Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    I've been decorating a Halloween Tree!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been decorating a Halloween Tree!
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's cool, the tree has a nice shape for a Halloween Tree!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does have a good shape. I didn't realize how big the tree was till I started hoisting up the plastic pumpkins. It was lats of fun, it made me remember what it was like to play outside as a child. I always picture Ray's Halloween Tree as a giant oak- this is an Elm.

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another
STeReOGRAM!

For those who do not know what 'stereograms' are, they are a product of the modern computer age. Within the mish-mash of design, is a complete picture of something entirely different.

The way you actually see this image...is very like looking in a mirror. You never look at the surface of the glass; you look thru the surface to the image being reflected. If you looked only at the surface of the glass of a mirror, you would see, in the background, two images (instead of one) of the image being reflected.

So, it's the same here. But the computer tightly weaves together the two images, making it impossible to distinguish them.

To see the image...
...the easiest way is cross you eyes so two same areas of the picture overlap. In this case, the bright images along the top or the bottom of the photo. Overlap only bright images that are side by side. In other words, don't overlap them too far apart. Otherwise, the effect is reversed. (not to sound too complicated). So overlap one that is right next to the other. By doing this, you will see another, totally different object appear. In this case, another Halloween object.

ImageOCT_31.jpg (74 Kb, 23 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I know it can be done, I have done it a few times long ago, but for the life of me, all I can get with these is the reversed image.
Phooey.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II
Well, here...try Tetris in 3D. Hope you played this once or twice before. This might help you to keep the image stable and the unreversed experience. Scroll down a bit and Click on PLAY.

http://steve-o-meter.com/component/option,com_puarcade/...276/gid,727/lang,en/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...all I can get with these is the reversed image. Phooey.

You can do it. Move in close to the screen, relax the eyes as if they're staring thru it, then slowly back away. It should only take a couple tries.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doug!
To quote the Three Stooges, "Success!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caution! Not recommended for those with a CRT, that is, an old fashioned Cathode Ray Tube monitor, as the dose of soft xrays is not worth the effort to achieve the effect. LCD screens are just fine. I had to get about 4 inches away from my LCD to start the transformation in my rather feeble brain. Nice though!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrask,

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was talk of a Halloween Tree at Disneyland last year, did anyone ever see such a thing? It is now Happy Hallowseen time again at good old Disneyland out here in CA so I wondered if it would ever really happen. I did see a Halloween tree in my residential neighborhood this year. I think it is starting to really catch on. Solution: go the the local $0.99 cents store or the like and purchase as many plastic jack'o lanterns as you can afford, and such hang them on the tree in the yard. You can also use battery powered candles for ultimate safety from the treat of fire.

I purchased both the SWTWC and the The Halloween Tree CDs from Blackstone Audio, by the Colonial Radio Players. Both are great for listening late at night in the dark - well done guys.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The treat of fire?

Tricks or treats!

How about a little fire, scarecrow?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
There was talk of a Halloween Tree at Disneyland last year, did anyone ever see such a thing?...

patrask, I had a vague memory of reading about such a thing, so did a search of the board. All I found was this thread, which includes a photo of RB next to a small Halloween tree:

https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/albumcomments/...921067343#9921067343

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I have a whole book of the Stereograms and they are fantastic. Some I get right away, others took a little bit of adjusting.

I think that this might be part of Gestalt, i.e., figure-ground where you look at a vase, then see two faces looking at each other. It is a matter of the inner eye seeing something that is there but not noticeably discernable.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Halloween Tree at Disneyland 2008

Look Here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traderchris/2930225147/

...and Here..

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm081009ar

Scroll down to The Bradbury Tree in Frontierland!

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray was supposedly there on Hallowe'en day afternoon.

Did you see him?

"Live Forever!"