Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my first
 Login/Join

posted
I have just finished reading Fahrenheit 451, my fist reading of this novel, and my first reading of anything written by Bradbury. As a high school student, I chose Fahrenheit 451 as an obvious classic, knowing that I would not be caught half way through the novel with no field of comparison between it and the in class read Brave New World. It became instead a living parallel to reality, darting in and out of my thoughts, words and passages coming to mind with the drop of association. It has meant so much more for me, a refuge from a numbing routine of work, books, bags and round about text. I sat in the hall reading while my friends gossiped and fake laughed their way through lunch today and thought, maybe I am as changed as they say I have become. But what if I don’t feel like laughing knowing Clarisse is dead? How can you expect me to smile when all I really want is out from this depressing mess. We have our own mechanical hounds at our heels, mine for now is a chemistry exam. Thank you Bradbury for this brilliant novel of destruction, loss and awakening. I hope one day my friends will wake to it too.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kt,
“I sat in the hall reading…” is an excellent image. Thanks for showing it to me. One of Ray’s goals is to make things brighter for people. Don’t let the “depressing mess” get to you. Lots of stuff in the world wants to drag you down but to find ways to be happy is to triumph over it. One great way to do that is to keep reading people like Ray Bradbury. But it’s hard not to miss Clarisse isn’t it?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is possible to find the depressing images (Mildred is depressing . . .), the book, in my mind, is a book of discovery, hope, overcoming and renewal. Montag comes alive. He is ignited by Clarissa, assisted by Faber, and finds a new life and hope for rebirth at the end. In his discovery of books and ideas, he discovers his true humanity.

A very, very hopeful book.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After all this discussion I know that I need to re-read F451 and I want to watch the movie once again. What should I do first, re-read the book or watch the movie?

Hi Mr. Dark. Missed your postings. Welcome back!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Books before movie, always.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, the book should always come first. The movie is also a complete pile of rubbish, in my opinion, so it is hard for me to sit through.

And to kt, I'm glad that the book inspired you just as it inspired me in high school. I can honestly say that I am a different person because of Mr. Bradbury's works, especially Fahrenheit 451. Hopefully more people our age will read this book and love it!

Montag Lives

Posts: 23 | Location: Nashville, IL | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M-Girl,
Mr. B himself told me (years ago) that he liked the movie. This was discussed before, along with the beauty of the music, but, like my Spanish friend, Tuey Chizón!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, to each his own indeed. I have heard that Mr. Bradbury likes it, and he is more than welcome to like it. I, on the other hand, did not care for the film, which is why I posted my previous statement. Smiler

(Of course, this could be from years of walking around hearing people talk about Clarisse's triumphant return and the betrayal of "Linda")

Montag Lives

Posts: 23 | Location: Nashville, IL | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s what I like to see, someone who’s not afraid to say they hated a movie. I liked the music though, but not the hats. Sorry, Robot Lincoln.—And the ending, I liked the ending but they shouldn’t have brought Clarisse back, I prefer her tragic—gives the story more punch.

Gully Foyle lives!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S'okay, as long as you don't mistake me for a hat! The movie isn't perfect, granted, but it does have some of the feel of the novel and I do like it. Why Julie played both roles, I don't get. I agree also with Chapter, even though she disappears in the book, its more real and bittersweet. The book is just so perfect when he comes upon the book people in the woods around that fire and stuff. Two things, I thought were significant when I received my books back signed by Ray, one was that a used book price sticker covering part of Rays face on Martian Chronicles was laboriously removed, you can see fingernail scratches on the book and they're from big fingers, I assume it was Ray. Next thing was in the copy of 451 I sent, besides signing the book, I can't swear he did this but I definitely don't remember it being in the book, on the first page of the story in black thin marker pen someone underlined "Montag". Then on the very last page underlined is this, "To everything there is a season. Yes. A time to break down, and a time to build up. Yes. A time to keep silence and a time to speak." Then there is a right side only parenthesis marking what is in italics below that. Although I think he may have done these things, I can't swear it was Ray that did it. I'd like to beleive it was though, and when I got the books back, I repeatedly kept going back and looking at that book in wonder. It would be strange for the average person to underline Montag and then just that at the end, but people do have their quirks whoever did it.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also agree that Clarisse's end is best left as it is in the book. It makes the book a lot more real than the movie, for when friends of mine were killed, a happy coincidence did not bring them back. What is more real than someone being around one day and dead the next? When Clarisse comes back at the end of the movie, it gives it this happy fairy-tale ending, rather than the thoughtful, real-life ending that appears in the book.

Montag Lives

posted Hide Post
I’ve lost friends too--due to motorcycles and various other reasons; so I sympathize, and agree. But, “Once more unto the breach!”

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your first and best wishes for many more.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post