Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    On a train to somewhere

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On a train to somewhere
 Login/Join

posted
Ray Bradbury inspired my love of reading, my desire to write and, indirectly, my career choice. I never had the honor to meet him, so his passing in 2012 was one of special sadness for me personally for an opportunity now forever lost.

Even as my life grew more hectic as I moved from childhood to adulthood, I drew comfort knowing he was out there, still rising early each morning, pecking away at his typewriter, composing daily, creating his next magical tale. His wonderful works remain, but that hope of a one-day chance meeting ended on June 5th 2012.

There was one time that Ray Bradbury entered my dreams. Oh, I'm sure over the decades he or his stories had danced through my slumbering brain from time to time, but I only recall one. It was brief but memorable. I was sitting on a train, an old one, something from the 1930s or earlier, as it made its way through a Normal Rockwellesque landscape with swaying amber fields to both sides. There were several people on the train, none talking, all positioned so they were not facing each other. We traveled in total silence, somehow feeling connected and disconnected all at once. To my right was a man in a white summer ice-cream suit. It was Ray Bradbury. I wondered why I was on a train with Ray Bradbury, and where we were going. The feeling was unhurried, languid, but somehow important. I awoke. I slowly stretched, lifted my head to the top of my pillow, and thought about the meaning of a seemingly meaningless dream, and the unshakable feeling I had that I had just met Ray Bradbury.

After a few more minutes, I rose and began my tasks for the day, including some writing of my own. I flipped on my computer to read the morning news over a cup of coffee. It was June 6, 2012, and there on my screen was the news of his passing.

A strange coincidence of timing? Perhaps, but I understood the meaning of the dream to me at that moment, and the inspiration Ray Bradbury had once again given me.

Live forever! Yes, what a wonderful idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeD,

Posts: 18 | Registered: 07 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board, MikeD. Thanks for sharing your dream and your admiration for Ray. If you haven't already read it, you might enjoy Ray's poem, "The R.B., G.K.C. and G.B.S. Forever Orient Express", in which Ray describes his own dream of riding on a train with all of his favorite authors. You can find it in his collection, THE CAT'S PAJAMAS.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's profound.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, thanks, and pleased to be here. I have passed through from time to time, but finally got around to creating an account.

I've read much Bradbury over the years, but I have not read it all, and that's a pleasant thought. Much still to be discovered. I have not read "The R.B., G.K.C. and G.B.S. Forever Orient Express," but you can be sure I will. How could I not after my own R.B. on train experience? Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Wow. That's profound.

dandelion, thanks. Yes, when I sat there that was probably my first thought: Wow! It was as surreal as the dream.

posted Hide Post
Very nice. He still comes to me, too, sometimes. More than once I've been awakened by him at 4.51 AM. "Good morning, Mr B" I'll say, and go back to sleep.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MikeD, I need a "like" button for your post. Ray is the one who turned me on as a reader, too. In 9th grade. For me, it was F451. A friend badgered me in to reading it and when I was done, I was completely turned on to the ideas that ideas mattered. Thoroughly enjoyed your post.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed your post MikeD! I haven't visited Ray's site in a long time. I have always felt too sad to return here after Ray's passing, but I'm back and glad to see some familiar faces (names)!

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great to see people returning! This place was feeling very forlorn for awhile!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see some of the old folks still here.
I recall roaming the empty echoing halls of the Old Board with Nard and a few others many moons ago.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randomyork, I understand the sadness.

I'm an intermittent poster here, but a frequent traveler to this site as I like to catch up on all things Bradbury.