Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    the year of the cicada
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the year of the cicada
 Login/Join

posted
hey everybody! ITS THE 17th YEAR! THE YEAR OF THE CICADA IS COME! for some reason it reminds of bradbury. the magical feel of all those erie insects flying about everywhere just makes me think of him. maybe its like in "Dandelion Wine" when Tom starts taking the tempurature in "Spaulding" by counting cicadas. so, i wish you all for a happy cicada summer, and if you live near me "montgomery county, a county in maryland just north of Washington, D.C." WE ARE HIT THE HARDEST WITH THE CICADAS IN ALMOST THE WHOLE COUNTRY!

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Cicadas, a former "regular" poster here published:

BIG CICADAS. Gregory Miller. Gardenia Press, Milwaukee. 2003.

I got my copy on Amazon.com.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered, how DO you pronounce the word cicada?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ci(as in sit)ca(as in cape)da(as in death).

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool thanks! I don't think we have those here, but I read about them a long time ago. Fascinating!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to learn more about them. Fascinating creatures!
Cheers, Translator
http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Periodical/Index.html#What%20is%20a%20periodical%20cicada

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains, where do you live? Im curious. because where i live we say cicadas the same only the "da" part in the end is pronunced like "duh", not de like in "death"

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm native Californian.

That's the way my American Heritage Dictionary had it pronounced. We don't pronounce Cicada out here, don't have em'as far as I know. I don't recall ever hearing the word uttered in my life. You may be right.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 05-15-2004).]

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was on the news that they're overrunning certain regions this year, but all far from the west coast.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what a "Potato Bug" is? I haven't seen one in over 20 years, not since I left Southern California in 83'. I'm wondering if their population has drastically declined or if we just don't have them in Northern Ca.

I'm sure their real name isn't "Potato Bug" so for those who don't know what I'm talking about I'll do my best to describe the hideous looking creatures.

They look like giant Termites, about 3 inches long. They have blondish-biege and black stripes and an alien looking head. They don't really move very fast, can't jump, and I don't think they bite, but they sure do look scary. They were quite common when I was a kid and Southern Ca. isn't famous for growing potatos, so I don't know how they got their nickname.

Does anybody have any input?

posted Hide Post
Here's in interesting short article on Cicadas and their contribution to injuries to children:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=1&u=/nm/20040514/hl_nm/health_cicadas_dc

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains:

ive never seen a real potato bug in my life, but ive heard of them. they get theyre name cuz when you touch them or scare them they roll up and look like a potato. theyre sort of fun that way.

posted Hide Post
Ettil- That sounds like the Roly-Poly, or sow bug. I saw on T.V. that researchers recently discovered Roly-Polys to be omnivores. They were previously believed to eat only decaying vegetation.

A couple months ago I saw a snail "sucking", I guess, on a smashed worm.

BEWARE! Carnivorous insects abound.

posted Hide Post
Try "POTATOBUGS.COM"

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick:

Well, now you did it. Reminding me of the most ghastly bug I have ever seen. It always looked like a little child. Pictures don't do it justice. You have to actually see one for real. Perhaps its gestures and movements create this ''illusion''? of something creepy beyond creepy...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post