Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Do you feel you are in the story too?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you feel you are in the story too?
 Login/Join

posted
I have read several of Bradbury's works and I continually find that I am one of the characters. I keep falling in love with the conversational tone that he uses to tell a story, and I feel like I am actually there--experiencing the world of the characters right there with them. And, as Bradbury confesses in some of his prologues, he asks the characters what will happend next and allows the story to write itself. I really feel like I am there, with Bradbury, feeling, hearing, seeing, experiencing all that he is in his books! Do you feel the same way?

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funmow:

In Ray's Triology, "Death Is A Lonely Business," "Graveyards for Lunatics," and " Let's All Kill Constance," I had the same feeling as you. Especially in reference to the Bail Bondsman mentioned in "Death Is.." as I was a Bail Bondsman for some eighteen years in Minnesota.

I just wish that there would be a Fourthology or even a Fifthology as I enjoyed these three books very much as they are about 180 degrees from F451 and The Martian Chronicles and read very well.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting...I have never actually experienced much of what Bradbury discusses in his books, but I get the feeling when I am finished with them that I have experienced those things! I guess all the hard-hitting burn burning discussion has touched me because I love literature and am appaled that anyone would even attempt to ban any piece of literature no matter the easiness, difficulty, or subject matter!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" is the first book I've read by Ray Bradbury. I felt like I was pulled into the story too. Not so much because of the events but because I could relate to the characters. I felt like Mr. Bradbury addressed alot of the feelings that people don't like to talk about. I've liked the book alot and I plan to read more of his works.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, Something Wicked is the only one i've read, i wasn't exactly drawn into the story. Its a good book i'm just not so into it that i feel like i'm part of it.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try reading some of his others and see if you feel differently. If not, try other authors and see if you get that feeling of being in the story!

posted Hide Post
Hi I'm Robert and I'm pure new here!! Glad to see such a big RB forum!!! One of my fave books by Ray is The Illustrated Man and I always thought I was in that story...whenever I read the book...whenever I watch the film. I believe there is a bit of each human being in those illustrations.......including the blank one at the end!!!!!! Cool

"Why do people take drugs anymore when reality has become hallucination?!!"

Posts: 10 | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Ray Bradbury does a very good job capturing the emotions of his readers. His style of writing gives the feeling of belonging and allows ourselves to imagine that we are in the story.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was never really drawn into his books. I did like parts and that was because I felt like it related to me, not really like it was explaining something in my life.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,

I Know what you mean. Although i think in a diffrent way. I Mean ive never said i was this character or that, but more like i was in the room with the characters, or kinda like a friend of a friend,type of thing.

What works for me when i read his works((Dandelion Wine,Death is a Lonely business,etc)), Is i see the time period itself. or the scenery. Kinda like for that split second im there. Like a waking dream.lol.

Posts: 22 | Location: Winter Springs,Florida | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the more you read of RB, the more you come to recognize he is as much an historian as he is literary marvel. Consider the details in describing the prehistoric environs in Sound of Thunder, or the lively streets of Mexico, kid-filled neighborhoods of Illinois or the colorful Barrios of LA, and even the trembling blast of rockets (in ironic retrospect, since he was writing about this years before the actual lift offs - and he still got it exactly right).

I especially enjoyed this aspect of his writing when I read Green Shadows, White Whale. So many s.s. do this also - Big Black and White Game, The Drummer Boy of Shiloh ("...what a wonderful name"), and The Flying Machine, to name a few.

He crosses cultures and times with the greatest of ease!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is even more wonderful than his ability to cross time and culture is his ability to describe it in such a way that we feel we are there too. We experience the Mars landings in Martian Chronicles, the characters and stories and circus of The Illustrated Man, the burning houses and libraries and last surviving authors in F451, and certainly the summer in Dandelion Wine. Sometimes, I can taste the wine from Dandelion Wine even! I have not found another novelist/short story writer about whom I feel this strongly. I have yet to read a Bradbruy poem but he will certainly have to try hard to beat Emily Dickinson in my heart! ...We shall see though if Bradbury hits me harder than "The Soul Selects..." and "Much Madness" though.

Question, have any of you found other authors who pull you in to their stories the way that Bradbury does me? IF so, I would interested in reading something to see if I can feel the same way about others and not just Bradbury (plus, I just love reading...and new things are always exciting!).

posted Hide Post
Hi there..nice to meet you.
Ehm...try reading Asimov (by many considered as being the father of sci-fi), Alvin Toffler (he wrote the excellent Future Shock..it ISN'T sci-fi!!) or/and Jonathan Gems (author of Mars Attacks! novelization) if you like the 'spoofier' authors!!

Rob Cool

quote:
Originally posted by funmow:
What is even more wonderful than his ability to cross time and culture is his ability to describe it in such a way that we feel we are there too. We experience the Mars landings in Martian Chronicles, the characters and stories and circus of The Illustrated Man, the burning houses and libraries and last surviving authors in F451, and certainly the summer in Dandelion Wine. Sometimes, I can taste the wine from Dandelion Wine even! I have not found another novelist/short story writer about whom I feel this strongly. I have yet to read a Bradbruy poem but he will certainly have to try hard to beat Emily Dickinson in my heart! ...We shall see though if Bradbury hits me harder than "The Soul Selects..." and "Much Madness" though.

Question, have any of you found other authors who pull you in to their stories the way that Bradbury does me? IF so, I would interested in reading something to see if I can feel the same way about others and not just Bradbury (plus, I just love reading...and new things are always exciting!).

"Why do people take drugs anymore when reality has become hallucination?!!"

ImageOZ_MAG_COVER_DINO_ATTACK.jpg (46 Kb, 2 downloads) Psychy!

Posts: 10 | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
funmow,
I believe what you've expressed about Bradbury's "...ability to describe it in such a way that we feel we are there too..." is shared by most of us who love him and his work.
By the way, if you like Emily Dickinson I hope you have read or will read "Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby's is a Friend of Mine", one of the wonderful stories in "I Sing The Body Electric".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in VHS:
http://www.mtv.com/movies/movie/1542/plot.jhtml

An interesting take on the theme if you can find a copy in your local library or pick up a personal tape (at low price) on line.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post