Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Long Beach was fun

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Beach was fun
 Login/Join

posted
Hello! Well, my 13-year-old son and I had a great time Friday evening in Long Beach. We arrived early for the reception and met an interesting variety of fans.

Until he arrived, I did not know Mr. Bradbury was using a wheelchair. But one by one we knelt before him to offer our thanks for his work. I took a couple of photos of Ray and my son, and I know we'll treasure them for years to come. People wanted photos and autographs and Ray was extremely gracious.

The rest of the evening was conducted as a question and answer session in a small theater. I was distressed that the theater was no more than half full, despite this being the Friday night event for the League of California Cities annual conference. I guess this says something about the priorities of municipal officials. My son put it best: "fewer people between us and Ray's aura."

At one point, Ray offered the best advice to writers I've ever heard: "Walk to the edge of the cliff, throw yourself off, and build your wings on the way down."

Of course, no wings needed yet; we're still walking on air from sheer exhilaration. Ray signed my son's copy of Dandelion Wine. I got to thank Ray for Something Wicked This Way Comes, which really gave me a lift at a low point in my life. All in all, a great evening.

DZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Ojai, CA, USA | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, great stuff! What a wonderful experience.

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This does sound like a great experience. Bradbury's advice to writers reminded me of John Wesley's (founder of Methodism) quote. He was asked why so many people came to hear him preach and he said that he set himself on fire and people came to watch him burn.

So much of the creative life involves passion.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too was at Long Beach and meeting Ray was one of those "I'll-never-forget-this-as-long-as-I-live" moments.

I arrived early for the reception. There seemed to be two kinds of people there: those who loved Ray and his work, and "society people" who thought maybe he was the guy who invented Star Trek. (I'm not kidding--I got stuck talking to such a person for 15 minutes.)

When I heard Ray had finally arrived, the room was PACKED with people. I was on the opposite end of the room from Ray and had to squeeze through (I'd've walked on heads if I had to!) When finally got to where I could even see him my heart was pounding. I was really gonna say hello to my literary hero.

Now, this was the low point of the evening. I had my book in hand and was under the impression that Ray was signing at the reception BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT SAID ON THE DAMNED INVITATION! But there was this grumpy guy in a bad suit and a graying beard who started telling people Ray would sign AFTER the event and discouraged them from coming up to Ray.

I approached Ray anyway and Graybeard snapped at me. "Just stick your book in front of him and move, we have to get going."

Ray didn't hear. He signed my book and before I could utter a syllable, Graybeard told him it was time to go.

"No! It's too early!" Ray said.

"It's 7:00." Greybeard said, and it was. Right on the dot. "We have to take your picture with the children."

"But I don't want to disapoint all these people!" Ray waved his hand indicating the 100 or more people gathered in front of him.

I wish I could say Ray won that argument, but they wheeled him away.

I was just in a daze. If I hadn't been so overwhelmed at the prospect of meeting Ray, I'd like to think I wouldn't have let Greybeard rush me, or Ray, but the truth was I didn't say anything. I just clutched my freshly signed copy of Dandelion Wine and thought about how much Ray loved us and didn't want to leave. You could see him soaking up the love, drawing life from us, how it sustained him.

I thought a man who had a stroke and was confined to a wheelchair might need to take it easy and spend his days resting at home. I should've known that wasn't what Ray was about. At the talk he poured out his love to us and we poured it right back. He only gained strength as the evening wore on.

The highlight of the night? When asked
"How would you like to be remembered?"

Ray's reply: "As a great lover!"

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 10-10-2002).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WritingReptile::::::

That Gene Roddenberry thing about Star Trek... has really an interesting story.

When Roddenberry died, Ray Bradbury was ask to do the eulogy. On his way to the funeral....he stopped off at some store or something, and someone... actually did come up and ask him for an autograph, thinking that Ray was Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek. I think Ray said that he ...signed it that way...as Gene Roddednberry, and continued on to the funeral.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I was pretty darn sure the whole point of the reception was to spend a little time with Ray and get books signed prior to the mad rush at the end of the evening. So I too was surprised that we were not able to ask for autographs at the reception.

On the other hand, I was pretty lucky. Being a shy individual, I was hiding out in the least populated corner of the room, which is where Ray entered, so I got to thank him right away, bring my son over for pictures, etc.

Anyway, what we southern Californians clearly need to do is hang out at Acres of Books in Long Beach. Especially on rainy days. In Ojai we have a used book store called Bart's Books. Sounds like Acres might be a similar concept, corrugated roof and all... DZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Ojai, CA, USA | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that story about Ray signing Gene's name is true. If it ain't it outta be. Ray is such a class act, it wouldn't suprise me at all.

deanzat--I didn't see enough "young" people at Long Beach (aside from the it's-a-small-world choir). How cool is that, that you brought your son to see Ray. Or perhaps he brought you. In any case...Parent of the Year!

Yes, lets all invade Acres of Books on the first rainy morning of the season.

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 10-10-2002).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post