Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Where is everybody?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is everybody?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Doug Spaulding I think you're in trouble...somehow. But I'm not sure.

jkt: Hah! Outta control with this posting bit. It's amazing how the numbers pile up. Just think of the age we live in. Just a few years ago and thruout HISTORY, all those posts were on pieces of paper, sent across the room or thru the mail, or on horseback. It's downright communications-crazy nowadays. Got a whole new slew of things to talk about and I must not. Have to figure out exactly how to create a MYSPACE thingie. Blab all day there! ByTheWay: Did you drive Ray at all for the Torrance event? Where you supposed to and didn't?

jkt: (onemoretime):
What's next whereabouts for Ray speaking? Ya' know?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Umm.....yeah. Why did you have to be the son of our enemy? But you knew that.

You guys are a scream. I'm glad school's out.

Priory

Posts: 27 | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Priory:
Fade me in. Don't get the 'knew that.'

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding I think you're in trouble...somehow. But I'm not sure.

I think I'm in trouble with Mr Braling, or worse, Mrs Braling!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ByTheWay: Did you drive Ray at all for the Torrance event? Where you supposed to and didn't?

I believe Craig Graham drove him, did he not?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Do you mean when Shakespeare wrote "wherefore art thou?", he was saying "why art thou?"

Absolutely correct. Puts a whole different spin on that balcony scene.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Offensive? But only in UK, right?

I don't know about ONLY in the UK, but yes, defintitely in the UK. However, it depends on context. You can sometimes get away with calling someone a tw*t (whereas it is always offensive to call someone by a word with a similar meaning), but it doesn't do to use that word in polite company if talking about parts of the body.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's with the Karma points. I win free french fries or something?

Maybe they are literally connected with karma - so you are stacking up points related to your destiny. However, this could be a good or bad thing, depending on how that karma business actually works. (Never seems to work out for Earl Hickey.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Doug,
Phil and Priory ("Why did you have to be the son of our enemy?") are right re the "balcony scene". The "wherefore art thou Romeo?", the "...rose by any other name" and the "...were he not Romeo called..." bits all have to do with Juliet's falling in love with the son of her family's enemies and her wishing 'twere otherwise...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: We had a slight comedy of errors in getting there. The Graham's had been in France for three weeks. Ray had not heard from them by the afternoon before the event. I was already on-board to asssit. Ray called Phantom Books, John (another one) agreed to bring books for Ray. At around 10 p.m. the night before I got a call from Craig, saying that he came back sick and that Patty would be driving but just in case, I'd be there early if traffic became terrible on the get-away weekend. So, I rode down with Ray and Santiago with Patty at the wheel.

I think the next formal public event is at Santa Barbara on the 23rd, the same weekend Green Town opens. After that, Now and Forever comes out and it will be marathon signing time. Not to mention all the limited editions that are due out in the next month or so...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Absolutely correct. Puts a whole different spin on that balcony scene.

Interesting - thanks for the lesson in Shakespeare from a real Briton.

You see, I took my Shakespearean studies from the great American stage performer Andy Griffith, who taught it thus:

“And he seen this light comin’ from way off yonder, and he said to his self, he says, “Hark!” he says, “What light by yonder winder shines?” He did. And let me tell ya, Juliet stepped out of her bedroom winder onto this stoop. And she give a soliloquy. She did, friends, and somewhere in it, somewhere in it she says “Romeo, Romeo” she says, “Wherefore art thou Romeo?” And he popped up and says “I’m ri' chere!”

So you'll forgive my ignorance, kindly.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
John (jkt): That's right. The Santa Barbara Writers Conference. I am there as often as I can. Plan to be there this time as well. See you there!~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...but it doesn't do to use that word in polite company if talking about parts of the body.

Thanks - I'll remember should I happen upon polite company. Wink

(Thought I'd better use a winky face on that dry-humoured comment!)

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
So, I rode down with Ray and Santiago with Patty at the wheel.

Aye, but Craig drove him home, I believe, and Patricia drove the Prius, if I am not mistaken.

No matter - he got there and back safe and sound!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
OK, OK, apart from Shakespeare, Andy Griffith, driving anventures, and body parts,

Where are all those folks I asked about a page or so ago???

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post