Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Where is everybody?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is everybody?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
.....I just woke up in the bathroom in the panic room and wandered in here. I don't know what happened, but I'm here now! Okay, I've been checking my e-mail and I didn't get one from you grass. I've been extremely busy of late with family & life. All is well with me, I know I've been an on again off again lurker and I apologize for that. I have missed you all as well. Super busy at work, we are opening a new store here in town and I have been promoted and am moving to the new one across town (hard because now, I live a block from work, oh well, such is life) which I'm very excited about! I hope all is well with you all too! grass, will recheck my trash bucket in my e-mail, maybe I deleted by mistake. Sorry about what's happening with the kids & ex.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outside, looking up:

The International Space Station (ISS) will be visible over North America for the next week or so. Tonight's appearance (10-5) should be impressive, as the ISS will climb very high in the sky. At its brightest, it will be nearly as bright as mighty Jupiter.

At 8:19 pm EST, face south-west, and you should easily see Jupiter, shining brightly about 8 degrees above the horizon (the width of your fist at the end of your extended arm is about 10 degrees). The space station will appear as a bright "star" about 15 degrees to the right (toward the west) at about the same altitude. It will appear to glide slowly straight up from this point, getting brighter as it climbs higher in the sky. It will continue to climb vertically until it is in the constellation of Hercules, when its altitude will be about 57 degrees; at this point, it will enter the Earth's shadow and disappear from view.

"Rocket Men!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly Mars is moving into position for the best view in years.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? Again? Seems like every year for the past few years we hear that mars will be closer than ever and will seem as big as the full moon! Well, maybe it will be close, but not so you'd notice with the naked eye. I think the closest mars gets is about 35 to 40 million miles as opposed to the moon which averages about 240 thousand.
But, maybe you're referring to some news other than this oft-repeated hoax?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, It only happens in Dayton, Washington this time of year.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was not a hoax in 2003, as I had the pleasure of seeing planet Bradbury through a few telescopes, including my own, and it was truly spectacular. Unfortunately, that will not be the case again for another approaximately 60,000 years, so we lived through the closest approach of Mars to Earth.

See attached:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/mars-earth-close.html

and:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_preview_021108.html

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, the hoax aspect is twofold: that "this time for sure mars is closest than it will ever be again!" and "it will be as large as the full moon!", the second aspect being the most ludicrous.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's as large as a full moon, only if you are in Dayton, Washington. It will also be the closest ever, in Dayton, Washington. It's just happens to be one of those things.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's true, I read it in Weekly World News, right next to "Boy Trapped In Refrigerator Eats Own Foot".

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
It's as large as a full moon, only if you are in Dayton, Washington. It will also be the closest ever, in Dayton, Washington. It's just happens to be one of those things.

Who from Dayton told you this and what were they smoking at the time?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this topic began as "Where Is Everybody?", have we only digressed, as is our wont, or is the answer to the Topic's question hidden in these posts; perhaps in that song from the '60s Jonathan King has the answer for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prxo0KKFIVc

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, I read it in the Dayton Sun-News.

Braling II, great to hear Ken King again. Seems like it was just yesterday.

posted Hide Post
Braling II: Oh OH! Now you went and started it!!!!

One of the classic pieces of popular music from the 1960's. It's been used countless times by advertisers to blend Turtle music into their product.... and it's been played probably as much as Louie Louie!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XSV1URdtgTc

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flo & Eddie!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and I'll raise you a Calvin & Hobbes!

http://www.rosenet.org/teensite/Calvin_and_Hobbes_comics_cartoons_f.jpg

Last night I pulled a copy of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" off from my bookcase figuring it was the "right time" to read it again. The prologue, of course, prefaces the lives (and close linked birthdays) of Will and Jim.

My selection off the shelf!? @ 12:05am/10-19 ~ Perfect timing, as the plot begins...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post