Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Why are they reading?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are they reading?
 Login/Join

posted
Why do Montag and Mildred really read the books? To educate them? To be different? Do they do it willingly, or is it more a chore? An example from the text: Pg. 72/73, Montag states, "Let's get back to work," as Mildred kicked at a book. Secondly, do their reactions and feelings change towards the end of the book, or does reading become more of a choice than a task?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you cant really look at Mildred and Montag as reading the books together. They are two seperate people that are reading for two different reasons. Montag is reading to find inner happiness and is using the books as a guide for more information. Mildred is only reading to please Montag. I remeber reading or discussing somewhere that she only read to please him and to "put on" that she loved him. You have to look deeper into there marriage and how Mildred never really loved Montag but how He loved her back. I think Mildred knew that Montag loved her but she couldnt have the same return love.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason why I think they are reading is because Montag and "the book people" realize how important reading is. I know if they banned books in this world I don't think I would care that much and I defenitley would take a chance of reading a book and risk getting arested. Montag and the rest also read to see what the past was really like and to see if everything people say is true. I also think they liked to read because they never really "legally" could read and since they did not get to read a lot it made it more fun.

Posts: 5 | Location: lemont, il,usa | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post