Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summertime
 Login/Join

posted
I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something about vacation and summer in general simply dictates to me the need to read Bradbury.

In fact, summer just doesn't feel right without delving into "Dandelion Wine" or "Quicker Than the Eye," or even "From the Dust Returned."

The exception to this phenomenon is "Something Wicked." Something about this particular story necessitates an autumn reading--it just doesn't work as well any other time of year.

What seasons/settings do you favor when it comes to reading Mr. Bradbury's stories?

Posts: 27 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inkling,

Summer demands Dandelion Wine be read then. I usually begin it in May. The Martian Chronicles seems to fit summer well, too. Something Wicked, The Halloween Tree: Autumn, of course. F-451 and others: good anytime.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And on Halloween night, there's nothing like reading Ray's classic short story, "The October Game." That story still gives me the creeps, even after many, many readings.

Posts: 2468 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blockbuster of a thread, eh? =)

Posts: 27 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many... Reading "The Lake" in September comes to mind, but October (any Autumnal month really) causes a Bradbury deficiency within my being that must be attended to.

Nice thread

BTW, does your User Name have anything to do with the C.S. Lewis/Tolkien/Williams group?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has everything to do with it. Thanks for asking!

I'm currently enjoying re-reading "Driving Blind." How I love early mornings on the deck with Bradbury, Douglas Adams and my Bible!

posted Hide Post
Amen
Great combo.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What else but...October...Ahhhhh....Fall!

Posts: 26 | Location: Snellville, GA, United States | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, judging by the calendar, it's very nearly time for me to make my annual-or-so post (admins LOVE users like me...)!

I've not visited since the Great Michael Moore Tumultuous Fiasco 2004; I'm assuming all that has nicely faded away?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Inkling,