Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Life on Bradbury's Mars and Venus, and Life Beyond
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life on Bradbury's Mars and Venus, and Life Beyond
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUSSELL!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h.rousseau:
Could anybody list for me all the screenplays RB worked on? Movies, I mean.

h.rousseau,

all the information you need is on my website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Once you're there, click on Films & TV and it will take you to a fairly exhaustive list. There are, however, some unfilmed screenplays which I haven't listed (such as at least two screenplay versions of Martian Chronicles, and at least one screenplay of F451).

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 11-11-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not recall Ray Bradbury writing anything substantial about life on other worlds, except man himself traveling there and finding himself there. Alpha-Centuri finds man, grown tall, reaching the farthest stars. But actual, other-life-intelligence afar away in the voids, I'd say No!

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally, I've got a copy of The Cat's Pajamas, and the first story I read was -- of course -- "A Matter of Taste". A fascinating story!

I think it's an interesting question whether a high intellect (well -- however that is to be measured... but that's a different question) can enable a person to sublimate one's aesthetic percepions. And if it is possible -- to what extent?

What I else find remarkable about this story in the context of Ray's writing is that it somehow combines both the science fiction element (which I think is dominant here) and the "weird" element as in stories like e.g. "Homecoming" or "Uncle Einar".

[This message has been edited by Menes (edited 12-29-2004).]

Posts: 62 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask,

My son, Anthony, looked like a minature Mr. Magoo when he was first born. I love that cartoon and if I remember correctly, they made a film version with human actors in it.

Who can remember that movie? Let us know the title please.

There was a commercial for Six Flags down here in Florida that starred an older, bald guy with big black glasses driving a school bus and otherwise running around, that would have a great Mr. Magoo. Six Flags quit running the ads but I loved them.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had those ads, too, for the Six Flags in Gurnee, IL.

I do remember the live action movie Mr. Magoo, which was titled Mr. Magoo and starred Leslie Nielson (1997). I also remember the todo about it, that it was insensitive to myopic people - I swear, Americans are too darn sensitive these days!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I would have to guess that Jim Backus was Mr. Magoo, as he was the voice or Mr. Magoo. We have that same fellow on the ads For Magic Mountain here in LA, now he looks a bit like Stan Freeberg with those glasses, eh?

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what my (legally blind) grandmother always said--that it's not funny if that sort of thing is happening to you. Wonder what Ray would say?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Korby,

Thank you for the reminder. Yes, Leslie Nielson played Mr. Quincy Magoo. Interestingly enough Miguel Ferrer of "Crossing Jordon" played Mr. Ortega Peru.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought they were funny and I used to be darn near blind as a bat.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you're quite welcome, biplane. I had to google it because I could picture the actor who played Magoo, but just couldn't get the name to come out from the depths of my brain!

posted Hide Post
Scroll down to 'Escapist Fiction'. After reading the caption, I was sort of dumbfounded. Http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/drawroom.html

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post