Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Met Ray when I was a little boy
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Met Ray when I was a little boy
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Or else, Pink Freud?

Ah, the Asian rock group - brilliant!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Engrish rabbit trail now?
Check out "Free Willy" here:
http://www.johnpinette.com/audio.shtml

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.engrish.com/

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great site! I've been checking it daily for years!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about international travel these days, is that, almost anywhere you go, most people speak English...

Imagemultiply-the-voice.jpg (28 Kb, 6 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I've been a recluse ... and few have seen me outside of my Tampa home. I take in few visitors, and very few are allowed to remain overnight. Ray's Dandelion Wine crept into my heart 29 years ago and took up residency. I have a special shelf of all his letters (Halloween Greeings) and posters and photos. Recently I wrote a book and dedicated it to Ray. I called it "The Market Street Chronicles" and although it will never ever (I mean, who could ever) compare to the magnificence and wonder of the poetic prose that is Ray Bradbury, it's my first novel. If you happen to get a copy, my email is inside. Here's a quote from my novel that reminds me about how I've lived my life so far. "There is a certain balance one gets from trodding uneven earth." Yes, I know trodding isn't a word, but there aren't any words good enough to describe Ray. FORREVER SUMMER !!! Bob Cain

Posts: 9 | Registered: 03 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert Cain, you were very close. Trod is to walk according to dictionary.com, but "treading" is the appropriate word as opposed to "trodding."

If you are ever in the Sunrise/Ft.Lauderdale area look me up.

As far as being a "recluse," Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull, et. al.) is truly a recluse now. Far different from when I knew him many years ago and a far cry from Ray. I am forever thankful to Richard, though, as it was through Richard that I first got to meet Ray, and later, the actor Cliff Robertson.

clmi9901@msn.com

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings. Thanks for the eloquent correcting on the word Trodding to the approrpriate word Treading. I chosing to "ing" the word trod because of the heavy sound of the word ... like clomp or plug. Treading also seemed so deliberately aggressive as in to squish and hurt "Don't Tread on Me" the old flag said. Tread appears in my thinking to be a conscious act with a certain purpose. I want the nonchalant act of walking for the purpose of observing everything else around me, not the act, but the experience. I don't know ... maybe someday the nuance will replace the actual. But ... don't get me wrong ... I love it when someone as fine as you corrects me.

Now about Cliff ... you might have met him during the Martian Chronicles, perhaps? Just a guess. Jonathan Livingston Seagull was inspired, to be sure. Diamond and his life a perfect background to score the film, as well, which we both know was NOT as good as the book.

Have a "s j jonas" green bottle day!

Bob

posted Hide Post
Yes, re-reading, I see a lot of errors. Sorry, I will be more considerate and check my work in the future. Sometimes I just want to get the thought out and don't think much about whether it was done well or not. My bad. (smiles)

posted Hide Post
Robert, hey, don't sweat the small stuff. I think what rankles the majority of the board posters are those who make no effort to spell and punctuate correctly, especially those of us who have a teaching background.

The story about meeting Cliff Robertson: When I was in Viet Nam the time came up for R & R (Rest and Relaxation) and there were a number of locations to apply for. Australia was very popular but a long wait. Bangkok was another favorite, Hawaii as well for those who could meet their wives and/or family there. I chose Hong Kong. My first wife's (then fiance) father worked for Northwest Orient and after pleading for her to come to Hong Kong he relented but said that her mother was going to go as well.

As it was, with him being an employee, I think that they only had to pay about $30.00 a piece for the tax on the tickets.

We stayed at the Hong Kong Hilton and I think that the rate for the week (now this was 1969) was $125.00. I was on one floor and my then fiance and her mother were on a floor above me.

One day, while reading the hotel newsletter, it mentioned that Cliff Roberton and his then wife Dina Merrill had attended a function the night before promoting his movie Charly. The article also mentioned that he and his wife were staying at the Mandarin Hotel.

So I got the big idea of calling Cliff Robertson. It was so unreal as I simply asked for Cliff Robertson when the hotel operator answered. This would never happen in the United States. Cliff answered the phone and I told him who I was and that we had a friend in common. He asked who that might be and I said Richard Bach. [Richard had flown from Ottumwa, Iowa to Des Moines to pick up Cliff for a weekend stay at Richard's home where they discussed ideas about a television show on flying. He told no one and me only weeks later].

After chatting a bit about flying, Richard, and that he and his wife were flying to Bangkok that afternoon we hung up. Two days later in the Hilton's newsletter I read that he was back in town and so called him again saying that it would be so nice to be able to meet him.

He replied that he and his wife were flying back to the States that afternoon but he had to go his tailors at 10:30 AM for a fitting of some slacks he was having made and that we could meet there on the mezzanine of the Mandarin Hotel.

So, while Cliff Robertson tried on his slacks, my fiance, her mother and I got to meet and visit with Cliff Robertson. He had a full beard on as he was working on filming the movie Hero at the time.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

By the way Robert, I actually like the word trodding and agree with you that it has a more tactile, earthy feeling about it.

Doug Spaulding: Rankle is a good word.rankles

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post