Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    New Movie Astronaut Farmer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Movie Astronaut Farmer
 Login/Join

posted
Hello I am a long time reader of this most wonderous site, and have said very little, but now I need some help. I saw a preview for this movie (Farmer Astronaut) when I went to see Letters From Iwo Jima. It stars Nick Cage who is a farmer who builds a rocket ship in his back yard. The story revolves around his relationship with his family mostly his children. Humm.... I remember a Bradbury story about a Junk Man who builds a rocket in his back yard, but for the life me of right now I can not remember the title of that short story-senior moment I believe. Could someone help please.

David B Smith

Posts: 12 | Location: Utica,MI,USA | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like "The Rocket" from "Illustrated Man",
in which Fiorello Bodoni builds a rocket in his yard for his family...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Thank you very much

David B Smith

Posts: 12 | Location: Utica,MI,USA | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here read "Farmer in the Sky" by Heinlein?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>>>>>>************+************+***********+*************+************+************+<<<<<<
Here's the trailer for Astronaut Farmer . Nice thing here is they give you the capabilities of selecting your own media player settings capabilities, if you should need it.

http://theastronautfarmermovie.warnerbros.com/

<<<<<<************+************+************+************+************+************+>>>>>>

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone here read "Farmer in the Sky" by Heinlein?

Not only have I never read it, I've never even seen it. Along with PODKAYNE and DOUBLE STAR, those are the three Heinlein books which have proven the hardest for me to locate. I only shop at thrift stores, library sales, and used bookstores. It's funner this way, thrill of the hunt and all.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not get the trailer to run (grrrr), but when I read the synopsis section, I thought it sounded great and even a bit Bradburyesque. Can't wait!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper:
It asks on the opening page what format you want to use on your computer: Windows, mac, cable, etc.Did you see that? Or/and you might have to download some free software.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Ray wrote something along those lines. Except the rocket never worked in Ray's story. It had a more dramatic aspect to it than I think this film will have. But then, in this movie the fellow really goes Gung-Ho and builds a real space ship. This may prove quite an interesting film.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Podkayne is great! Farmer I know only the title, but here's a summary: http://www.wegrokit.com/farmer_in_the_sky.htm

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains,
YOU HAVE NEVER READ “Double Star”? Oh, dear, dear grasstains. DO NOT MISS THIS BOOK! Redeem bottles, mortgage your house, but get a copy! It’s one of Heinlein’s very best!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know, I'm lagging. There are some really big used bookstores in the area I haven't been to in years. I should make the trip someday soon. My trade-ins are piling up. The other day I found out one of my favorite used bookstores is closed down, gone, empty... and gone too is my twenty-something dollars in book credit. Not so much as a phone call. That's the third used bookstore we've lost in the last two years.

================================================

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't break the bank! Heinlein titles at Addall start at 75¢! http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=...randbooks&store=ZVAB

There is also ebay, ebay.half.com, and Amazon.com, for starters on relatively inexpensive books--of course the postage will run you much more than the books!

posted Hide Post
I saw The Astronaut Farmer over the weekend. It wasn't bad. Not sure if I found it particularly bradburyesque, but it's a good family movie, the kind of thing the whole family could enjoy. Anyone with a family might wanna rent it when it comes out in a few months.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the understanding that Billy Bob Thornton had the lead role in the Astronaut Farmer. Am I crazy or what?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post