Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Thank you, Mr. Bradbury
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank you, Mr. Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
A moment of remembrance for the incomparable Ray Bradbury, science fiction and mystery legend whom I had the distinct pleasure of spending some time with in 1984, while studying The Martian Chronicles. An amazing man, to be sure, and one of the most significant of my earlier influences. RIP.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt compelled to write that I was truly inspired by his writing, his plays, and who he was a human being. I'm very sad at his passing.

AstroAllie

Posts: 2 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will remember you always, sir, but especially at Hallowe'en--

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to learn about Ray's passing. To his family & friends my prayers are with you.
RIP Ray, untill we meet again.
Randy

Posts: 37 | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 06 June 2012 08:06 AM

Hadn't joined this web site before, but
after hearing this sad news this morning I felt compelled to sign on. I'm saddended to hear of Mr. Bradbury's passing, he is one of the greats
and that's a vast understatement. A genius
of the highest order and though I never met him,
I know people who have and he was reportedly
a very gracious, friendly gentleman and
very encouraging of younger writers, etc.
He will sorely be missed and our field has
lost a titan today. I know, however, he
will live on in his work and our memories
and I feel his work will be read for thousands
of years hence. I also wanted to quickly say that man, am I with Ray's comments about trying to stick with actual printed books--I'm seeing
countless indie bookshops in trouble and closing
around the NY area alone, and this saddens
me and enrages me. As great as the technology
is, I'm sure Ray would've supported me in
at least saying we have a whole rich culture
that is in danger of being destroyed. It
might not be burning books, but it's close...
there's no substitute for a book you got
signed by someone like Mr. Bradbury IN PERSON
and on the printed page, personally inscribed,
let's say. You cannot replace that with
an e-book folks. And that's all I'm going
to say on that score for now. This is a
sad day but let's remember Mr. Bradbury's
fantastic and inspiring life and career
and try to emphasize the positive, even
though we are sad today.

Yours,
Scott Briggs
Long Island, N.Y.

posted Hide Post
Forever in my mind, forever in my heart.

Forever, always.

posted Hide Post

My first letter back from Ray

My second letter to Ray part 1

My second letter to Ray part 2

Ray's unbelievable reply to me...

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Ray,
I can only address you that way because we were best friends when I was 12, although we never met.

You and your stories will live in my heart as long as I live.

God bless you and your family.
Chris

posted Hide Post
rip, my favourite author

Posts: 2 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has been an inspiration to my Sci-Fi musings for 47 years. Not one day goes by that I don't think about the 'Martian Chronicles' and how I wish I could be one of the first to go there.

He has inspired by writings and like the other godfathers of sci-fi, given me pause to think of our place in the universe.

Sadly missed, but never forgotten.

To day I will toast your passing

"May the wind at your back never be your own"

See you on Mars Ray.

Doc

posted Hide Post
Live forever, Ray.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 25 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great man and talent. I will miss him very much.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1993, I met Ray in Century City mall. I told him I was a high school English teacher and had taught several of his short stories as well as MC and Fahrenheit. I told him of my admiration for him. He wanted to know what public library was affiliated with the school at which I taught (Fairfax HS) because he wanted to do a fund-raiser for it! Over the next couple of months, I and my students arranged the fund-raiser and I had the overwhelming privilege of sitting at his side and offering my written introduction to what turned out to be a one-hour talk Ray gave. After the hour-long talk about his career, the space program, and other memories, he autographed books. I was told that it was rare that Ray would talk for as long as he did.

We raised over $600 for the library, part of which was the sale of his latest book and part of which from t-shirts I and a couple of students had designed and had silk-screened.

In the aftermath of this event, we corresponded for a few weeks. I sent him a poem I wrote, one he had inspired and he wrote me a poem he had written on a theme similar to mine--a poem of response.

A dear, dear man and a VISIONARY.

I have been dreading this day for years but who could deprive G-d of such a delightful presence. Much loved and much to be missed. We love you Ray.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Bradbury for your books. They are part of my childhood and helped me be a man.

posted Hide Post
I write here for the first time too to pay homage to my first and foremost inspiration, my very favourite author.

I don't think I can count all the Bradbury books I read, let alone the numberless things I learned from them and loved of them, the infinite inspiration from them.... and I can't possibly name one favourite book. But the first Bradbury books I read as a young teenager were Martian Chronicles and Farenheit 451, and since then I've never stopped reading his books, I've never stopped reading and loving books in general.

Thank you Ray. The world will be infinitely sadder and greyer and duller without you. But your stories made it happy and colourful and brilliant. We'll keep treasuring them forever.

Miki

Posts: 1 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: 07 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post