Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Is there a museum dedicated to fantastic literature, cinema and art?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a museum dedicated to fantastic literature, cinema and art?
 Login/Join

posted
I vaguely remember that Mr. Ackerman was thinking about donating his collection to a museum that he was creating...did this ever come to fruition? Is there a museum dedicated to Science Fiction, Fantasy, etc. I would love see such a museum for the preservation of SF/Fantasy/Horror artifacts and would without doubt donate part of my collection. However, I would insist on it being a non-profit org.

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there is the Science Fiction Museum. It's located in Seattle, Washington, in the Frank Gehry Building, in the Space Needle.
Non-Profit? Dunno!

Phone is: 1 206 724 3428

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been to the Science Fiction Museum, and I truely enjoyed the experience. There are collections of old dusty film props, novels you've never heard of from the beginning of SF, and displays which illustrate how a fiction becomes a science.

I do not know if it's a non-profit organization, but I will try to find out for you.

EDIT: Here is the museum's website: http://www.sfhomeworld.org/

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, Nico! I've always wanted to go. I'm looking forward to my trip to Florida next year and my first visit to Epcot and the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nard, Nico and Lordshen for replies...by the way the website is awesome...I am still trapped in the 1980s reading everything published from that point back...I purchased much of it but I am not a collector who will keep objects mint...I am a voracious reader...the kid who could take Spiderman #1 and reread it a dozen times then carelessly fold it and stick it in his back pocket (forgive me collectors). Unfortunately, I do have some pieces that are extremely rare and I do not trust myself with them. I also live in South Florida(the land of hurricanes) currently and have brought these items with me from the New York Metro area.
At some point I would love to donate these objects to a museum dedicated to the promotion and advancement of this History. Science Fiction History that is...and of course I include the genres of horror,fantasy and perhaps mystery in all this.
Unfornately, today with the advent of the science fiction channel and the return of the modern space opera, I truly believe that we are losing a generation or two of science fiction readers. We need to keep the Bradburys, Blochs Asimovs, Kuttners, Beaumonts, Heinliens,etc. etc. alive today. Please don't miss understand...I don't want to denigrate the great Science Fiction/Fantasy writers of today but we should never forget those of the past...we should honor them.

believer in Douglas

posted Hide Post
Thanks...found the following at the website:

"The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame (SFM) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization created to inspire new generations to reach beyond the present, imagine the future and explore the infinite possibilities of the universe."

believer in Douglas

posted Hide Post
My niece was just to the Seattle Museum and said it's really cool.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
booklover,

trust me, there ARE sci-fi/speculative fiction writers out there that definitely cherish their heritage like bradbury, heinlein, asimov, wells, verne and shelley. at least, ones that are making attempts at making a living as writers. *points to self*

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Spiderman #1, I am the proud and frustrated ex-owner of the entire collection (#1 up until 1974). I foolishly sold the entire collection when I got out of HS to a collector in Los Angeles. I also had Silver Surfer #1 and up, 1st appearance of Dr. Strange, Conan # 1 and up, large collection of Thor, etc. I sold the entire set (many in mint condition and in plastic) for a couple hundred dollars.

I love the idea of a science fiction museum. Science fiction (Bradbury started it off) is what turned me on to ideas, to literature, to philosophy/theology, etc. In mid-life I remained interesed, but have come back to it increasingly in my life. I think keeping the tradition's roots alive and available is important.

The Library of America is preserving the best of American literature. They have done HP Lovecraft and Charles Brockdon Brown, and, recently, Philip K. Dick. It would be nice to see a high-quality effort like this on science fiction.

As Bradbury says repeatedly, science fiction is the literature of our day. I like his view of what science fiction really is--a literature of ideas.

Long live Bradbury. Long live the discipline and joy of science fiction and fantasy.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
I keep in contact with Steve Ditko, co-creator and illustrator of all the Spiderman comics from #1. He's into his 70's, lives in New York. About the time I got interested in Bradbury, I was either writing, and began writing to Ditko. He would send me original drawings, large panels, etc etc. All gone!!
Thrown away because of mismanagement of my prized possessions. Vultures come and eat away the fragility of a easy-prey youngster's need to admire and save precious works of art. Now Bradbury seems to have beat-back those vultures and insidious monsters of his youth.

Thru the years I've asked Ditko if he'd be willing to illustrate a Bradbury story. He always said he was not familiar enough with Bradbury's works to illustrate something. Lately, I've been thinking perhaps he could illustrate "one" thing, a single panel, and perhaps nice posters can be made out of it. Ditko is very down to earth, no pretensions, very accessible and easy on being a naturally nice guy. Moreover, I still think of Ditko as the lost brother artist of Bradbury. There is a basic similiarity of gusto and life and energy and love that permeates the drawings of Ditko down to the individual lines and curves and swirls of his pen.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That would be a loss, too! I still have an original Bugs Bunny cartoon panel I got from Ralph Heimdall. I was smarter with that. I had it professionally matted and framed and it hangs in my home.

I love hearing that people who have been successful in thier lives maintain an ability to reach out to and respond to "the common person". Very cool!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, my heart goes out to you for your loss of original artwork due to "mismanagement of my prized possessions." Unfortunately, although I do not know this, it may have been a close relative who might have been trying to help you by "uncluttering" your life. Like I said, I don't know what the circumstances may have been.

I think of all my things that my wife has thrown out for one reason or another over the years and I cringe. But after 29 years of marriage I still love her and have no plans to throw her out.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post