Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My Brush with Rayness

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Brush with Rayness
 Login/Join

posted
I have a vivid memory of "The Veldt" from the Illustrated Man. It was probably the first non-comic book I ever read. Probably because of the cover. My brother Steve got me into Sci Fi.
I later based a sculpture on that cover illustration, and even later, a children's hospital mural on "the Veldt". I am currently making an animated version of that cover. I'm not obsessed-it was all just ingrained in my mind-a great first reading experience!!
But that's not my Brush with Rayness...
He was once signing books at Cal Poly while I was attending. He was there to discuss his vision for cities of the future. I missed the lecture.
I got in line with a pack of adoring old lady fans. I picked up "I sing the Body Electric" (the only one of his books left on the shelves) and asked him to write this for my brother Steve's Birthday:
"Dear Steve, Jon couldn't afford a birthday present for you this year, so he had me write this book for you. Happy Birthday, Ray Bradbury" He laughed and wrote it exactly as I dictated it. All the old ladies looked suddenly unsatisified with their "Best Wishes..." messages.
I hope he still has that book. I think he thinks I wrote it in there myself.

Posts: 1 | Location: Concord, CA, USA | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Cutterjon,

Ray is truly a unique fellow. He has been kind to, over the years, when one of my three children (each of them read something different) were reading something of his in school, to write them a brief note which they showed their teacher for extra credit. He is truly a unique and unselfish person.

Your story about his inscription sounds so much like him.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post