Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    What Else Can I Say About Ray Bradbury?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Else Can I Say About Ray Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I like Ray Bradbury. I wish I could talk to him. But sometimes it is not possible because of the non-cooperation of others.
He has influenced me to write 5 short stories so far and a novel in progress. What else can I say? He is a really great guy.

Posts: 4 | Location: greenfield ctr. Ny 12833 | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first RB I ever read was portions of "The Golden Apples of the Sun," which my mom had bought in a paperback edition. I was 7 or 8 years old. I think I remember "A Sound of Thunder" from that time; I know I read more. He was my first and ongoing favorite living author. His was the first voice I sounded like when I started writing, and it took long for me to find my own style while still appreciating his. I've met him only once, at a booksigning in Santa Monica, where he re-inscribed for me a copy of "Dark Carnival" he'd originally signed for someone else, along with a couple of others that I bought new that day. I've signed up to attend a seminar he'll be giving on March 7, and look forward to seeing him again.

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! He's giving seminars! Do tell? Guess he must be in all right shape after all.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I have talked with Ray, but he sounded great. He answered the phone with a deep, resonant "Good Afternoon."

When I first mentioned to him that I had moved from Minnesota to near Ft. Lauderdale, he said that he had a relative who lived here. I thought
that it might have been one of his daughters, but he later told me it was an aunt of his. That got me to thinking. He's 81 and has an aunt. Then it occured to me that his aunt could have easily been born the same he was and is about the same age.

He lectures at many colleges and a couple of years ago he lectured at a college only 60 miles from where I was living in Minnesota and I didn't find out about it until two weeks later. Man, was I disappointed!

He gave me the fax number of the lady who books his lectures, and although he doesn't travel great distances anymore, I'll see if I can find out where he might be in the near future and will post the information for anyone who might be living close by.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently spoke with Ray and he sounded great. He answered the phone with a resounding and resonant "Good Afternoon." He does lecture at colleges, but has slowed down somewhat in recent years.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray had an aunt only nine years older than himself, and of course one of his uncles may have taken a "child bride." Yes, please, PLEASE, post any and all appearances!! Since I wouldn't have known about the "Dark Carnival" reissue without this board, I don't trust anyone to tell me anything!!!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury. I don't know what to say for sure. This man...his words, they've meant more to me than anything that I have met in my life. Like many others posting here, I too am a writer. Though I may masquerade as a librarian by day, I moonlight as a writer of short stories and a creator of mini-comic books.

A few years ago, I was becoming disillusioned with my writing. My wife sought out to get some sort of inspiration message by Mr. Bradbury himself to jolt me from my slump, so to speak. Shortly after Christmas 2000, I received a poem he sent out as a holiday greeting with a small message written on it. Needless to say, I've been writing ever since.

-Anonymous J

Posts: 2 | Location: Denver, North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be there to join Ray Bradbury as he receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 11:30 am on Monday, April 1. (This is no April Fool's joke.)
Ray's star will be in front of Larry Edmunds Bookshop, 6644 Hollywood Boulevard, in Hollywood, Califonia.

Ray is being honored in Los Angeles in April as the city is reading "Fahrenhiet 451" in its first citywide reading program.

Ray will be there, as will Charlton Heston.

Check out www.lapl.org/F451

Posts: 7 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How fast life flies.

Rod Steiger,who portrayed ''The Illustrated Man'' in the Ray Bradbury motion picture, accompanied Bradbury along with Heston to the Hollywood walk of fame ceremonies. A few weeks later he was dead.

Since then, Ray has lost his wife, his brother, and many close friends. But Ray continues to write, to speak, to get to places that seem impossible for a man who isn't as spry as he used to, due to his stroke. There is a spirit of love and motivation in this man that should be a lesson to us all.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.... This thread does have a solemn effect and somber feeling.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains:

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Back in the olden days when I was Flyboy, I had forgotten some of the posts I had made. Somehow, I could not get back onto to the board as Flyboy and so had to be reincarnated at Biplane1.

Ray recently said that his aunt is 91 and still alive and well somewhere here in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 02-19-2005).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard did it.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greasstains:

Some how I missed Nard's post. Sorry about that!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post