Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow!
 Login/Join

posted
This is a fantastic site. I've always wanted a place to check where Mr. Bradbury will be speaking so I don't have to rely on random chance to find out about an appearance in my area that I can attend. Also, the video interviews are excellent, the introduction from Mr. Bradbury is wonderful, and the sheer variety of information presented is impressive. Thanks to everyone responsible for this project for making it happen! This Ray Bradbury fan truly appreciates it.

Ray Bradbury has had a great impact on me. In sixth grade, when I was twelve, I picked up a copy of The Martian Chronicles from the school library...There was a waiting list, so I had to wait nearly three weeks, but when I finally got my hands on it I devoured it. It showed me not only how beautiful good writing can be, but also how important and powerful. I decided from that point on that I wanted to become a writer myself, and so I have. I am 23 now, and write short stories, long stories, articles, reviews, and poetry. I've had some published in smaller magazines, anthologies, and newspapers, but am still working hard on breaking through into the larger circulation (or professional) magazines like F&SF. I don't sweat it, though. It will happen in time as long as I keep working hard and enjoying myself. When I'm not writing, I'm working on a year-long graduate school internship in the local high school, where I'm training to become a secondary school English teacher...Hopefully then I can do my small part to correct the problems Mr. Bradbury sees in the education system, which I agree need to be addressed in order to avoid a stagnant culture.

The direction my life has taken is due to the support and guidance of many people, but Ray Bradbury and his writings have played a greater part than many. I've met him several times in person, and look forward to attending a speech he's giving in Baltimore later this month. His kindness has always reinforced my sense that I'm doing the right thing by following my passions, and that I'll always be happy as long as I work hard at what I love.

Thanks, Ray!
Greg Miller

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that many share the same enthusiasms for this Site, that others did when it first began...

The sheer mis-information of the mis-informed distracts from what is the clear intent of this web site: to discover the man, understand... and enlarge our appreciation ...of Ray Bradbury. To discuss his works, ask questions, debate, argue, or dissect his words, if necessary. But all with civility.

If the thugs soon sit down with reasonable mind, to behave, that's one thing. Thugs no longer! But if they obviously show no respect for anyone, it's time to show them the door called "Delete".

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Censorship is just one issue which arises when an author chooses to create words to display for the scrutiny of the public. Criticism is another. Ever since the invention of the printing press, writers have been subject to unexpected, and, at times, uncalled-for objections to their work, and have had to develop ways to cope. No one even a few years ago could have envisioned the impact of the internet, where EVERYONE gets a say, good, bad or semi-articulate! "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." (Shakespeare, MacBeth.) This has not deterred me in my goal to be a writer, it has simply opened my eyes to the sort of attacks for which one must find some way to prepare. I've now seen the Bible, Ray Bradbury, and Shakespeare attacked (and that's all just on THIS BOARD, not to mention the rest of the internet), so by rights, when my time comes, I pray I may keep this in mind and be ready! (Actually, the worst fate, as many a grand author has pointed out, is to be ignored entirely.)

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post