Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    a Bradbury junkie for 33 years

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a Bradbury junkie for 33 years
 Login/Join

posted
Like many of the other folks on the board I've been a Ray Bradbury fan since I first opened the cover of one of his books. When I was in 7th grade I ordered A Medicine for Melancholy and The Machineries of Joy from Scholastic Books. (There was just something in the titles that piqued my imagination.) Within three days I had devoured both books and had ordered The Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Since then I think I've read almost everything he's ever written � and have savored every word! I tribute Mr. Bradbury with my love of Sci-Fi as well as my love of the written word. I still have those first four books among my most prized possessions.

Thank You Ray.

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
topher01, I "discovered" Ray in the 7th grade as well. I was a bored student, looking for something to read, when a wise junior high school librarian handed me a copy of THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN and said, "Here, I think you'll enjoy this." Truer words were never said. I was immediately hooked on Ray's writing, and he has been my favorite writer ever since. Welcome to the message board!

Posts: 2437 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was also a bored student. I had just discovered how great science fiction was so my mom brought up a stack of Bradburys from the basement. First I read "The Illustrated Man" because the cover was really cool. IT BLEW MY MIND! I quickly went on to The "Martian Chronicles". AGAIN MY MIND WAS BLOWN. and then to "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which is less sci fi-ish, but i still love it. I knew Bradbury would be my favorite author after I read the first story in "Illustrated" which was "The Veldt."

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer between 7th and 8th grades, 29 years here.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
35 years, 9th grade. My first RB book was the same one I'd read in the school library - R is for Rocket. I still have that paperback, now 31 years old.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1969, 9th grade. Started with F451. Fan all these years (35 years). His magic has never died. I've loved getting exposure to the poetry, etc., as well. Met him twice -- both times were great. He changed my life, just like Mr. Electrico changed his.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post