Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Just What Have We Been Doing with Our Lives?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just What Have We Been Doing with Our Lives?
 Login/Join

posted
Just What Have We Been Doing With Our Lives...?

Most of us on this board have admired Bradbury's work, been influenced by what he's written, or in some small or large way, been affected by something pertaining to Ray Bradbury, directly or indirectly.

And so, what have we been doing presently with whatever that list above means to us individually? Or what have we done in the past! Or what are we planning for the future!

Who wants to go first?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...since I'm here....

Many times when I have mentioned to Ray some project or other of mine not directly related to writing, he has said, "You have your own work to do," or even, "Give up on all that and just read and write."

People ask if I'm writing, and I haven't been so much working on a book, as working up to working on a book. That is...I'm gearing up to write a novel which will be long, very difficult, take massive time and effort to write, and may not be well-received, and am trying to psych myself up to find the inner strength to turn my back on everything and do it no matter WHO SAYS WHAT. OR DOESN'T. (Extremely trying.) Meeting Robert Fuller was actually the last of a series of tests. If he was nice, I was going to be brave and write the novel. If he was not nice, I was going to crawl under a rock and die. Well, he was WAY more than just nice, so there goes my last excuse. (Okay, I didn't say the tests were logical or made sense, but then how much sense does writing a novel make anyhow?)

I don't even have a title yet, but I do have characters and quite a bit of what might be called plot. And, after reading Thomas Wolfe, I've discovered how very much book can sometimes exist to how very little plot, so...here goes. I'll still be pursuing some ordinary activities, and moderating the board will be the last to go.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filmmaking.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, congratulations. That was shorter than my answer.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am raising my daughter to think "what if?", to think "I CAN" instead of "I CAN'T" and not just "could we?" but also "should we?" For starters...

Posts: 3 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been busy, that's for sure. There just are not enough hours in the day. Converting AB from current printer to new printer, switching our entire marketing plan to traditional bookstores, working on another book, and cramming in weekend trips to the mountains for pictures and hiking. Oh, yes...I almost forgot I work a regular job, too. Ha! I think it's okay to post the link, since we work a very limited area and have a waiting list of more than a year. Cool
My Other Life
It's a challenge, but fun. Work hard, then take your reward. That's what I say.(lol)

This weekend I'm taking four days off to go to the Olympic Mountains to the 'High Lake.' Nice place.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was something I did years back (1970's in fact) inspired by Bradbury. Lasted 3 issues, with the first one in 1974. Ah, just a kid back then. (See Photo Album. Go back to list of Posting Titles, this same Forum, and find forum posting with same title as this one. It has pics of the paper.) Now that I made myself perfectly unclear...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

ImageINPW22.JPG (290 Kb, 10 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Well...since I'm here....

Many times when I have mentioned to Ray some project or other of mine not directly related to writing, he has said, "You have your own work to do," or even, "Give up on all that and just read and write."

People ask if I'm writing, and I haven't been so much working on a book, as working up to working on a book. That is...I'm gearing up to write a novel which will be long, very difficult, take massive time and effort to write, and may not be well-received, and am trying to psych myself up to find the inner strength to turn my back on everything and do it no matter WHO SAYS WHAT. OR DOESN'T. (Extremely trying.) Meeting Robert Fuller was actually the last of a series of tests. If he was nice, I was going to be brave and write the novel. If he was not nice, I was going to crawl under a rock and die. Well, he was WAY more than just nice, so there goes my last excuse. (Okay, I didn't say the tests were logical or made sense, but then how much sense does writing a novel make anyhow?)

I don't even have a title yet, but I do have characters and quite a bit of what might be called plot. And, after reading Thomas Wolfe, I've discovered how very much book can sometimes exist to how very little plot, so...here goes. I'll still be pursuing some ordinary activities, and moderating the board will be the last to go.

Wow, that was very powerful.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The experience was very powerful. Many people have said how meeting these actors, particularly Robert Fuller and Peter Brown, was inspirational for them and enabled them to have a different feeling about life and their own place in the world. Some people are just sharing their stories now a month later. Although no one could ever be as special and inspirational to me as Mr. Bradbury himself, these guys hold a very special place in my heart.