Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Auction
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Auction
 Login/Join

posted
Did anyone bid and win at the estate auction? I had my eye on the metal masks ; I loved the thought of looking up from my desk and seeing them hanging there, as Ray must have done innumerable times. Alas, the bidding went too high for me.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
Did anyone bid and win at the estate auction

No, but I bid and lost! I desperately wanted the Slatoff, particularly since I know Chris and am making a film on the creation of the large version of this piece. I had to bail out - $10,000! Who knew anyone else wanted it so badly?! I tried, but I'm not made of money!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having had very little luck on modest auctions on eBay, and not being much of a collector, I resisted the temptation to get involved.

So far, I haven't heard of any friends or acquaintances being successful.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Phil, I didn't try, not wanting to see things I might want and be unable to afford.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have now heard from a friend who picked up some animation art in the auction. Relatively low-value items, and items with relatively little direct connection to Ray.

The Retro Hugo, I gather went for something like $28k ! I don't know who got it. Certainly wasn't me!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was amazing to me was that these folks had no idea what they had - either in terms of relevance to RB or the sculptor! It's listed as "Statue of Man Cradling a Boy -- Likely Relating to One of His Stories -- Signed by Various People Along Base".

First, that's not the name of the piece; it's called Father Electrico. Second, it was not related to one of his stories (other than the Illustrated Man reference); it was related to the Mr Electrico event of his childhood - a huge turning point in his life as a person and as a writer. Third, it was an original Statoff! Signed to Ray!

I was absolutely in disbelief when I saw it offered for an initial bid of $500! Slatoff's maquettes go for several times that! That the estate had no idea what they had on hand or the meaning of it with regards to his life is sad and puts me at a loss for words. Well, someone discovered what it was and they still got it at a bargain. The estate's loss. I guess that's what happens when the primary objective is to clean house.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, I know the story "Pieta Summer" appears in one of Ray's later collections. Had it been published at the time the statue was created? That's the closest direct story allusion I could cite other than the stories referenced in the design (small figures depicting characters, etc.)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Doug, I know the story "Pieta Summer" appears in one of Ray's later collections. Had it been published at the time the statue was created? That's the closest direct story allusion I could cite other than the stories referenced in the design (small figures depicting characters, etc.)

Well, that was in We'll Always Have Paris, which was published after the statue was begun. Not positive when he wrote it. But the statue's creation was based almost entirely on the Electrico scene from his life, not a story.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...I guess that's what happens when the primary objective is to clean house.

I'm relieved that the family gave so much of it to the Centre for Bradbury Studies, but still I wish it all could have been left alone like a time capsule. In my view, any object that played a part--however small--in creating the atmosphere in which Ray chose to work, is valuable. I would rather own some small trinket that lived on his desk than a valuable painting from upstairs. (Though an original Mugnaini would be grand!)

posted Hide Post
Here's the back story on Fr Electrico

http://americanlegacyfinearts....-of-Fr-Electrico.pdf

I participated in the auction -- as others have noted, in an ideal world, it would have been great to see all the pieces stay together and then either go to Ctr for B Studies, or better, roadshow around the country (the world!). But given that was pretty much an impossibility (some richie Rich would have to have stepped in as Benefactor for the Plebes), can understand why the Estate wanted to auction items, allow folks to get a bit of Bradbury. The major orig art pieces -- R Watson M Chronicles, Mugnaini Gothic and Carnival -- went in excess of 20k (Ellis' Illustrated Man north of 35k prob to a Hollywood biggie).

I saw his grandfather's watch was included in the auction. Wonder if that was an oversight by the estate given how meaningful to Ray.
Back story below from S Weller's page.

http://listentotheechoes.com/?p=691

Posts: 2 | Location: slc  | Registered: 27 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A week prior to the closing of the auction, levels were far beyond my means (for most of the personally relevant items). I knew that would be the case. Yet, it would have been a nice way to conclude this aspect of Mr. B's legacy if some of those on Board had become the holders of a few pieces for which we all could have shared a common appreciation. Somewhat like keeping the treasures in the family!

Alas, We'll Always have Green Town!
-------------------------------

Per the Slowdive ref. to S. Weller's RB watch article: "While he didn’t say it in words, the watch said everything. He was proud of his son."

(Not a day goes by that I do not cherish the moment each early morning when I place my Dad's classic, old watch - with real numbers and hands that move with the hour - upon my wrist.)
Priceless!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slowdive01:
I saw his grandfather's watch was included in the auction. /QUOTE]

!?!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slowdive01:
I saw his grandfather's watch was included in the auction. /QUOTE]

!?!

Agreement. That should have gone to one of the grandsons--possibly the one named for the grandfather.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowdive01:

I was there! I shot the event for footage which may be in the documentary I'm wrapping up. My favorite part was when Ray was being rolled out of the room and he said "Turn me around; I want to see it one more time."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Slowdive01:

I was there! I shot the event for footage which may be in the documentary I'm wrapping up. My favorite part was when Ray was being rolled out of the room and he said "Turn me around; I want to see it one more time."

lucky you... how Fr Electrico came about is pretty powerful. so you shot the footage for this youtube clip i assume?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3sCmKCB70

maybe slatoff was the high bidder. i put in some early bids but then decided to focus $ elsewhere.
heres a story in the LA Times on the auction.
that I Man painting by Ellis truly is amazing. the Watson for M Chronicles also a favorite.

http://www.latimes.com/books/j...-20140926-story.html

Posts: 2 | Location: slc  | Registered: 27 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post