Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Picture Speaks A Thousand Words
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Picture Speaks A Thousand Words
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kukai_Aoki:
No, no, no...

I don't think your question is trivial or unworthy, but I'm not going to call.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I understand that.

So, Doug Spaulding, do you feel...

...Alive?

I'm sorry, but i just had to say that. That very line in Dandelion Wine is what inspired me to write my first short story, so you can imagine what fun i get out of talking to someone who's screename is Doug Spaulding.

So, to you my fictional friend, do you think I will ever find out what painting Ray was speaking of? Be honest.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kukai_Aoki:
Yes, I understand that.

So, Doug Spaulding, do you feel...

...Alive?

I'm sorry, but i just had to say that. That very line in Dandelion Wine is what inspired me to write my first short story, so you can imagine what fun i get out of talking to someone who's screename is Doug Spaulding.

So, to you my fictional friend, do you think I will ever find out what painting Ray was speaking of? Be honest.

I do feel alive. I've been slowly learning to be alive, and last November 18th I finally realised that I was! The next time I saw Ray (I think it was at dinner or something), I told him "I'm alive - my God, why didn't somebody tell me!?" He chuckled and patted me on the cheek.

I think you'll find out. I still think we should just ask him.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing that we take these photos (below) for granted nowadays!! I can remember cramming into a grade school room with 2 or 3 other classes of kids, sitting on the floor, and anticipating the launch of a Mercury or Gemini rocket. The black and white tv was the only one on our hallway. Walter Cronkite or Huntley & Brinkley did the classic moment by moment narration for history!

"Hubble" was given a final hug by those marvelous astronauts before departing. Nice!! The original telescopic lens was manufactured in our small village by the Corning Corp.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/...sc/010605shuttlenasa

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know who this painting is from:

Peter Nicolai Arbo (1831 – 1892). It is called Oskorei/Åsgårdsreien (1872) and it can be found in the Nasjonalgalleriet of Oslo.

Hello à tous!

Posts: 1 | Location: Brussels, Belgium | Registered: 16 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an UNCROPPED image of the painting - clearly showing the artist's signature!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dcw9.../s1600-h/arbo_01.jpg

However, I still dispute that this is the exact painting Bradbury is describing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
perhaps...there is no painting...yet.

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post