Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Picture Speaks A Thousand Words
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Picture Speaks A Thousand Words
 Login/Join

posted
So here is the deal:

I was re-reading the short-stories collected in the book I Sing The Body Electric when i stumbled across this paragraph in The Terrible Conflagration up at the Place

Along the hall they came to another, vaster landscape with all sorts of monster beast-men cavorting about treading fruit and squeezing summer-melon women. Everyone craned forward to read the brass plate under it: Twilight of the Gods.
"Twilight, hell," said Rooney, "it looks more like the start of a great afternoon!"
"I believe," said the gentle old man, "there is irony intended both in title and subject. Note the glowering sky, the hideous figures hidden in the clouds. the gods are unaware, in the midst of their bacchanal, that Doom is about to descend."
"I do not see," said Blinky Watts, "the Church or any of her girly priests up in them clouds."
"It was a different kind of Doom in them days," said Nolan. "Everyone knows that."
"Me and Tuohy," said Flannery, "will carry the demon gods to my place. Right, Tuohy?"
"Right!"

This paragraph intrigued me, as i wondered if such a painting existed. And, as Ray Bradbury never fails to delight me, I finally found it on Photobucket. The painting was captivating! I just had to know who could paint such a masterpiece! I searched everywhere, but to no avail. Please, I ask of someone, anyone, tell me who the unknown artist is! I'm dying to find out!

My deepest regards and most sincere thanks to whomever can acquire this information for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kukai_Aoki,

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Since you've found it on Photobucket, can you post the image here for us?

Could it be John Rizzotto?

Is this it? Probably not - I think this is more modern.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is an amazing painting, but I'm not convinced it is the exact painting Bradbury is referring to. "Twilight of the Gods" is the literal translation of "Götterdämmerung", which is one of Wagner Ring cycle operas - and this has inspired many artists. (Indeed, Wagner was probably inspired by previous art on this theme.)

Why do I doubt that this is the painting? Bradbury seems very exact in his description: figures in the clouds; men treading grapes. I don't see these elements in this particular painting. (Maybe the JPG image doesn't have enough detail to reveal this.)

I would say that Bradbury had seen A painting depicting the twilight of the gods, and was recalling some of the details and imagining others. I'm not convinced this is THE painting. Although it is an interesting one!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As i will be respectful in my reply to these suggestions, I must point out that I do know all about the old Norfolk myths and the destruction of the Gods at Ragnorok. (except for Loki...that sneaky little man. haha) And since the only evidence i have of any such picture existing is by this "Could mean a thousand meanings" excerpt from the story, I have to respond in this way:

To Doug Spaulding,
I appreciate the warm welcoming! I posted the painting up, and although it is quite fuzzy in its rendering, I do believe that this is the painting the kind old man speaks of in the excerpt. What greater expression of irony could possibly show the gods being decimated inside of their pillars of towering clouds? The way the Twilight is divided between the morning and the night in this battle just strikes me as something Bradbury meant for the old man to hang upon his wall in all its glory.
Thank you for the kind suggestion, I do find that painting to be rather exquiste, but I do believe that your painting is portraying only the mighty god of the sea, being amongst all earthly desire.

To philnic:

I am truly sorry sir, but you must read further than the first description of the painting from the gaggle-of-fools that accompany his Lordship around to take the paintings! You must read the old man's description, being the showcase of Irony and the glowering of the sky to keep the wicked ones in the shadows, and while this may be named Gotterdammerung, it is actually a portrayal of what happens at Ragnorok from the perspective of the Artist who painted it. On these grounds, i must reccomend you acquire a set of reading glasses, no disrespect intended of course, but you must look deeper into the soul of the painting to find what it really is you are looking for.

I am grateful for your reply and I give many thanks for the criticism, but i stay strong in my assumption of this being the work of art that Bradbury's "Lord of the Place" spoke of.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And besides...all i asked for was who the Artist of this painting was. haha, no offense to the people who used their time responding!

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
You may be right, and there seems to be loads of paintings with the name Twilight of the Gods.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...there seems to be loads of paintings with the name Twilight of the Gods...

Indeed, a reason for my doubts about this being THE painting.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for my arrogant attitude earlier, i did not mean to come off as a judgemental bastard, it just rolled off the tongue quicker then my mind could bring it to a halt.

So being as my choice for the painting might not be it, any suggestions on the painting that could be? Or the Name of that Artist that painted my edition of said painting?

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
I'm willing to bet he really meant Hieronymus Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights", but I don't know how to post the picture here...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...but I don't know how to post the picture here...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The first one, at least, has clouds, but neither seem to hold hidden figures.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must disagree with you Braling II, for this painting does not depict any hideous figures hidden in the clouds nor monster beast-men, and, although it does show a Hell, it does not appear to be fortelling of any Doom that might descend upon this landscape. Moreover, the painting being described in the paragraph is based on polytheism, not monotheism.

Your painting describes many themes in the Bible, God creating the Earth, Adam and Eve, even Jesus is alive in this portrayal. I do not believe it is fortelling of a doom, but giving a timeline of christianity. Beginning, Middle, and End.

But I have to say my eyes did believe what you said when Doug Spaulding posted that picture up.

Alas! I will continue in my search for the Painting described in the short story, and continue in my journey to discover the Artist of my version of Twilight of the Gods.

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
Perhaps Ray knows?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Perhaps Ray knows?

I could call, but he might not hear me very well over the phone.

Perhaps someone in his vicinity could ask him.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I could call, but he might not hear me very well over the phone.

Perhaps someone in his vicinity could ask him.

No, no, no...I would hate to bother him with a trivial and unworthy question such as mine. I can sense that there is deeper meaning in these words! All i need...is a deeper understanding. (Sigh...)

"Oh, death!"