Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 451
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
Do you think that fahrenheit 451 is a realistic story that praises books fiction or is it a book that accuses our society denial abot reality in favor of ficition??

ghily

Posts: 2 | Location: Rome | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
abot and ficition are good words...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, Phil, we don't want to discourage our Italian friend, though I'm not sure of the question myself...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 is a book that has ironically proven its "realism" continually since its publication in 1953. It praises all books: The Bible, classics, philosophy, history, mythology, and fictional works as well. RB wrote the story in less than two weeks while slamming dimes into the timed typewriters located in the basement of the campus library of UCLA. The allusions (spanning a myriad of topics and people) that jump from each page were gleaned from texts he grabbed each time he venture into the aisles of the works housed above him.

Many of its themes certainly accuse society of a denial of reality and, especially today with omni-present wireless wonders, warns of the effects being "plugged in" and "tuned out" will have an the individual and the culture as a whole.

The persuasion and propaganda of revisionist historians, personal agenda driven educators, and bought & sold political leaders make what is fiction the new reality!

So, Gily, you have it on both accounts.

These all apply is some very appropriate way, I believe...
http://www.literary-quotations.com/f/fahrenheit_451.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghily:
Do you think that fahrenheit 451 is a realistic story that praises books fiction or is it a book that accuses our society denial abot reality in favor of ficition??

Well, it's a complicated work, alright. Will have to open the book again and get back to you.

Rome, eh? It's one of our most aesthetically beautiful cities - benvenuto!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
abot and ficition are good words...

Blast! The UK is nine hours ahead of me.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
F451 is a book that has ironically proven its "realism" continually since its publication in 1953.

Yeah - what Frank said.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Blast! The UK is nine hours ahead of me.

...making us older and, from time to time, wiser.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From time to time.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
thank you all! I'm going to try to do something for my essay.. if you have any other advice let me know.. thanks !

ghily

Posts: 2 | Location: Rome | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since houses were no longer flammable, the "firemen" had become skilled in burning rather than extinguishing:
http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8112067

Again, RB is more the writer of non-fiction as time passes. (I can't wait to hear what the new Mars' probe uncovers. Is that a hot dog stand?)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No attics?

Horrible.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No basements or cellars either, I bet.

No giant mushrooms, no scent of sarsaparilla...

Say, though, is that styrofoam used in those bricks recycled? Now that would be a good thing.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, good one, Braling II. That would really put you in a fix - NO basements!?

No Attics! Where will we parents go to hide when the "fifth column" arrives?

posted Hide Post
That would be an interesting little study, i.e. how many of Mr. B's stories feature attics or basements?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post