Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    What are YOU doing?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are YOU doing?
 Login/Join

posted
We've all been inspired by Ray, obviously. But what are we all doing with this inspiration? Many of the posts on this forum indicate that we have some great writers, and I was wondering exactly what each of us are doing, at least creatively. I know a couple of you have published books, a few more are trying to get publication, we have a few filmmakers (including myself) and artists. I'm just curious as to what everyone does/is doing/dreams of doing. And, of course, how do the writings of Mr. Bradbury inspire what you do.

I'll start. I am an independent filmmaker, and intend to transfer to filmschool next year. I write my own screenplays for my films and have also written various short stories, though not enough for a compilation yet. I also like to draw, but I don't spend nearly enough time on it. Ray has inspired me in my work in a number of ways, but mostly in that I strive to make stories that not only have a great plot, but also that people can relate to them on a human level.

Well, that's the basic gist of it. Hope to hear from all of you!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've recently started writing short stories. I used to draw a little, too, but it's been a while since I took the time. Basically, Bradbury is one of the main authors responsible for my love of reading, which in turn contributes to my love of writing. I'm no film maker, but I have played the "ninja" double of the main character in an independent film makker's most recent movie. (I am a martial artist, as well.) In addition to this, I am somewhat of a musician--my band, in which I play the guitar and sing a little, has two independently recorded CDs. I love doing all of these things and will continue to do them, but my main aspiration is to write.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eclectic I am a writer, and it was Mr. Bradbury's work that inspired me to become one.

I started out as a fine arts major, and changed that to English/Journalism/Creative Writing as I went along. Although my Master's Degree is from Otis Institute of the Arts, in LA, I went back to doing what I love most...writing...after re-reading RB's stories and knowing in my gut that writing was my greatest passion. It didn't make sense not to follow up on that.

So, I owe my thanks to the genius of Mr. Bradbury. It inspired me to realize, once and for all, what I wanted to be when I "grew up".

Of course, it was a tad more convoluted than that, but not vastly so.

Cheery-Bye

Singthebody

Posts: 15 | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a reader more than a writer--at least for now. I am also a student. I plan to earn my degree in English from the University of Akron in December, 2004, after which I plan to attend law school.

Next?

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question!

Had too many jobs to count.

But, in a rather large nutshell:
First job in my life lasted one day, and I quit, and never even went back for my check. It entailed typing names and addresses of writers looking for work at a writer's employment agency in Chicago. Boring!

Other work:
In San Francisco, the following: bundled and wrapped finished printing jobs. Worked at Bank of America, in the office. Painted tables at the John Hopkins Hotel. Stamped price labels on cans in a supermarket.
Los Angeles: worked for lots of printing companies. So many, in fact, that one day I left to work that morning ...and couldn't remember where I worked. Had to find another job, which I did by noon that same day.
In Chicago: Worked in truck lines, worked for the railroad, flipped eggs at a Jewish deli, worked at a burger shop, was art director for a trade journal in chemical field, and art production for 5 others; editor for another trade journal in medical field, sold radio advertising, art production for a convention counsulting firm, drove a cab for most of a summer, worked at a lot of printing companies, as well as a writer for a motivational organization. Currently, still in the printing field, playing around with the idea of starting a small high tech shop in Irvine, California with a few others, plus, for fun, composing music, playing around with painting (art) and learning, day by day, to live my life that Christ wants me to live... to know Him better... (I know I left things out, but a lot of it starts to fall away after awhile into some sort of minor oblivion ....)

........................� Postscript:........................

Ah, yes, writing.
Well, I had at least 3 stories published, but, alas, not professionally. Two stories in the College literary supplement, The Bird of Death and The Dark House (Bird of Death merited a long hand written from Avram Davidson, who was editor of Magazine of F&Sf at the time)...and the last was a story whose title escapes me, but it was published by a friend of Avram Davidson. It was a story about a person who lived in a totally antiseptic world, and, left out without the experience of being ill in any way, decides to search the world for someone ill in order to experience what mankind has thruout history....when it is rumored there is such a person 'out there'.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-03-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that merits a book, Nard! Good topic, groon. I began writing because I believed it would be easy for me to do. I found it extremely easy and typed brilliant little stories. And as I continued to write I discovered when I went back to read my old stories they were just incredibly stupid. Now I just write, I hope, less stupid stories. I've never had anything published and I wouldn't begin to know how to have them published. Mr. Bradbury has said he writes at least 1000 words a day, I believe. My average would probably be somewhere around five.

[This message has been edited by Ought Not (edited 03-02-2004).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started writing because I liked to read books. Didn't figure I could make a living just reading 'em so why not write 'em? Turned out, like Ought Not says, it's much harder to do than you realize. Also, to do it and make a decent living is just about beyond impossible. And, with my classes and experience, I've developed an appreciation for good writing. (Like Ray's, which is why I'm drawn to his work.)I know just how difficult it is and admire good writing when I see it. (Like much of what I see on this site!) I'm like Salieri, though, in Amadeus, in that I recognize great writing but I can't create it.

That's fine. At 43, I've had to move on to other things. Doesn't mean I don't continue to harbor those dreams. One day, I say to myself. One day.

Only not today.

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read anything and everything that was within my reach starting from about grade 2. Because of family troubles I had to move first to Russia for a while, then Germany,France, and finally ended up in Canada. Finished business school here, was allowed to write my masters in English; still working on my Phd. Now I'm writing and translating for money and pleasure. Youngest member here, I reckon.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I may not be the youngest member here, but I can assure you that I am younger than you. I'm turning 20 in a couple of days. And, as it turns out, I may be in Canada this weekend, though no doubt far from wherever you may be. Cheers!

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
What a fascinating life! I liked the part where you
"couldn't remember where I worked. Had to find another job, which I did by noon that same day."
Could make an interesting movie, just that incident alone! I'll start tossing that idea about, if you don't mind...sorry, just always taking note of interesting things that could be perhaps worked into a larger picture, or lead to a different idea.

Translator and Yestermorrow,
Wow, I had no idea you were so young. I am not quite 24 yet (wait 'till April) and I thought I was one of the youngest members here! Haha! With the exception, obviously, of people who immediately identify themselves as doing research for a high or middle school class. (not that there is anything wrong with doing that. I don't mean to put down anyone of any age, it's just an observation)

Ought Not,
I too feel that I do not write, perhaps, quite as much as I should. I do write alot more these days, mostly because of my screenwriting, but I think this site is also a good outlet for practicing writing. Not that it's necessarily literary writing.

Just an aside: you know what really bugs me about this messageboard? There's no italics! Sometimes you just want to subtly convey an emphasis on a certain word, without the blatantness (blatancy?) of caps lock. Therefore, go to the last paragraph again, and, in your mind, italicize the words quite and literary, and in this paragraph, do the same for the word subtly.

All,
What I find the most fascinating about all of us is that I feel I know many of you fairly well, just through writing, and yet we have never even met! Through the different posts, I have become conscious of distinct individual personalities for everyone here, and yet we'd walk right by each other on the street! I just find that irony to be hilariously funny!

P.S. Just thought I would put this link up. It's a short story I wrote for a sci-fi contest here at my college, back in October. It was a tie-in to a fundraiser for refurbishing (is this the word I want?) the planetarium. The theme of the competition was stories involving planetariums. Ray gave a lecture, and, of course autographs. A great time was had by all. http://artconspiracy.com/conspiracy_word_gallery_item.asp?itemid=52594&id=1649072584

(click on the word greatdeciever to see more of my stuff)

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 03-04-2004).]

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To all:
If you'd like, feel free to post links to any of your work, as I know that I, for one, would love to read it!

posted Hide Post
I've sold more than 50 short stories. Hundreds of pages of comic books scripts. Too many review columns for me to bother counting. First novel will appear sometime this year.

The first of two letters I wrote to Ray Bradbury was when I'd sold my first short story and wanted him to know that it was his work that I'd first read as an eight-year old that inspired me to be a writer. In the body of that letter I wrote him a little story of how my mom introduced me to Bradbury's work and how it amazed me. He quickly replied to thank me for "that incredibly wonderful love letter". Fifty-some stories later, it's still Ray Bradbury who stoked that fire in me as a kid.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, you are older than me. I'm 21 now.
If anyone wants to, I could send them a translation or two of some Polish short stories by Stanislaw Lem. I don't have a website, so I'll have to email them to those interested.
Cheers,
Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only speak English (and with a dialect). I've always admired people who start with another language and become proficient in English. Amazing to me. I know only a little German and my mom used to speak a bit of Yiddish about the house from time to time, but I never picked it up.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon, I clicked on your link and the page could not be displayed. It may be my computer, or you may want to check the link. Just thought I'd let you know--I'm interested in reading your story.