Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 911
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dandelion
you are being bullied by cooger and others. Moore is not anit american he is pro america and if anyone on the these boards has an ounce of intelligences and ability to research this out (not from FOX news, or Max news or Limbaugh etc) they would know. Check out Moore's site and make your own decision what to do. Why don't you set up a separate area for discusion around this, and have another section strictly limited to his books. I was amazed at the pressure Cooger was putting on you. Very sorry for that, but many people are upset with Bradbury right now, why should others know it! Why? Moore is Pro American Cooger go and check it out for yourself, .....

Posts: 10 | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it could be both but he said what I quoted on Letterman to Dave and to the television audience. Just because he got the idea from someone's email doesn't mean he would 'use' the idea to pay homage, a homage that Bradbury has spat upon. Moore is pro american, why do you understand that. because you only read what you want to believe? Can't you check it out to see for yourself? I think if you really did, with an open mind, you might change your thoughts, and there is nothing wrong with changing, in fact, it is a sign of reason, no one is right all the time, part of the problem with our administration right now IMO

quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
passions:

Moore said that, about where he got the title?

Well, that conflicts with another thing he said.. that he named Fahrenheit 9/11 in homage to Ray Bradbury, since Fahrenheit 451 dealt with censorship, etc. So... which one is it?

posted Hide Post
Corrections ..."doesn't mean he would'nt use......" and .....why don't you understand........
quote:
Originally posted by passions:
it could be both but he said what I quoted on Letterman to Dave and to the television audience. Just because he got the idea from someone's email doesn't mean he would 'use' the idea to pay homage, a homage that Bradbury has spat upon. Moore is pro american, why do you understand that. because you only read what you want to believe? Can't you check it out to see for yourself? I think if you really did, with an open mind, you might change your thoughts, and there is nothing wrong with changing, in fact, it is a sign of reason, no one is right all the time, part of the problem with our administration right now IMO

posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,

Moore's title F911 and subtitle, "The temperature at which freedom burns!", use the "Fahrenheit ###" title as metaphor. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Moore uses Bradbury's title as a VEHICLE, as in, to drive home a point and a political agenda.

I'm surprised he never thought to ask RB for permission, but I read about this movie a year ago on Aint it Cool News and just assumed the title was OK by Ray. Understandable that Ray doesn't want to release another press statement giving "his opinion" during the current political climate, but it seems he already has in a translated Swedish interview.

So, he can come out more against Moore.

Or he can side with the elaborate metaphor of freedom and knowledge BURNING that he created, and allow Moore to use the title unchanged and unchallenged.

Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an admirer of Ray's works. And, I am a little upset that Ray could get so caught up in "a manipulated" title. It all hints of some "rap star wanna-be" lashing out at a satarist over a spoofy rendition of a ganster rap tune that they put out! Oh, wait, that happened!
Nevertheless,I am an admirer of both, Ray Bradbury's and Michael Moore's works. They are two very different writers and film makers, who continue to contribute to the public discourse and to the
imaginations of their readers and viewers.
So, if Ray and Michael happen to cross path's over a re-interpretation "F-9/11,"
a film that barrow's from the premise of Ray's "F-451," or that was inspired by "F-451", then so be it! Afterall, the true measure of the stayingpower of an artists legacy is that their "classic" works are barrowed from, from time to time, from generation to generation, and reinterpreted or manipulated to create something new and profound over and over and over again, with many artists not living long enough to see
the referencing or re-interpretation of their classics.
Besides, how many more times do we have to sit through another adaptation or manipulation of William Shakespeare's. It's time that Ray Bradbury bask in the sunshine for awhile, and revel over the fact that another film maker has contributed a work to the public conscience, that adds to the cultural legacy, influence, and to the staying power of "F-451."
I believe it is a great day for both Ray Bradbury and Michael Moore. I also believe Ray should accept a sincere apology and a gentleman's hand shake, and be flattered that an omage has been paid. I also believe the title "F-9/11" should remain.
And, I can't wait to view both; "F-9/11" and the new version of "F-451."

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.....Most of this thread seems to have absolutely nothing to do with Bradbury (indirectly, yes, as it deals with F9/11....sort of)! And the viciousness!!! Geez......I'm not saying I have never offended people by my opinions and views, but when in message boards, I try to edit myself so as not to sound like a total lunatic (such as that Michael person)! Although, as harsh as some of this was, it's still nothing compared to other boards I've seen!! It occurs to me that people, when they don't have to SEE others they're conversing with, tend to spout whatever pops into their minds, without taking time to edit! Michael may have had some very valid points, but how he brought up his opinions was grossly incorrect....IMHO! I still think that this message board is way more civilized than others I've seen!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone should read this excellent article on Farenheit 911 by Christopher Hitchens:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh. You should have seen Michael's posts BEFORE the moderator edited!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

I probably would have gone blind had I read the unedited versions! I still find it amazing that some people (and I occasionally fall under this category, myself!) feel that their opinion is the ONLY opinion and everyone else is full of horse hockey. I'm only usually that way when my husband insists on bringing up his extremely erroneous political views!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is it that Democrats think Republicans are so stupid and that Democrats aren't? If you ask me, anyone who belongs to ANY political party instead of thinking for themselves and developing their own beliefs is a total sheep. End partisan politics, that's what's holding our country back.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray .... Get a life. Your novel was wonderful and so is Moore's movie. You've obviously got too much time on your hands and have been spending too much of that time collaborating with that old curmudgeon Charles Smith.

Posts: 1 | Location: LA, CA USA | Registered: 23 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon..agreed.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filmguy1:
Hey Ray .... Get a life. Your novel was wonderful and so is Moore's movie. You've obviously got too much time on your hands and have been spending too much of that time collaborating with that old curmudgeon Charles Smith.

The irony, the irony. Anybody one the internet posting can't tell somebody else they have too much time on their hands.

My self personally, yeah I'm pretty bored.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
filmguy1

Hmm! How rude is Charles Rome Smith? Rude to young rascals like yourself? You seem to be a know it all that knows little. Ray has a life. A busy one. Check out the Resource posts to see some of the things he is involved with. I'd think at 83 you would hope to at least be able to brush what teeth you have left, don't you think so?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nard.

Hey um, Film guy, now that it's brought up. He's a famouse writer. Who are you and what do you do?

I got this feeling your a pot calling a kettle black.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post