Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Simply Waiting on a Watermelon...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simply Waiting on a Watermelon...
 Login/Join

posted
Mog the Dog here.

Our own Doug Spaulding here may be simply waiting, but I'm waiting for this year's first watermelon to ripen. It's the size of a chicken egg today.

There will be a day when I as well no longer wait. In the meantime, anyone care to predict harvest day?

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing you've got that guard creature there - you never know when a possum or a pole cat will come down out of the forest!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

I am that guard creature of which you speak.

Let me introduce myself properly. I'm a 42-year-old stuffed toy brindle dog that was given to my favorite human companion by her grandmother on Christmas Day, 1965. I've spent 27 years of my existence in a carboard box in the attic. I emerged spontaneously in June of 2004 to wander the corridors of the Internet discussion forums as a metaphor of sorts, as an online persona for my favorite human companion. I've been wandering ever since...

So now, your guess? On what day will my little pink-fleshed piece of Summer be perfectly ripened?

MTD now a.k.a. GC

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

It's been only two days, and the watermelon is now as big as my head.

I can't help but be reminded of that old monster movie in which a kid finds a metal capsule containing a gelatinous mass that hatches out into a cute little Harryhausen creature that outgrows its human-sized cage the first night.

MTD

posted Hide Post
Hey MogtheDog, you need to travel to Ottumwa, Iowa and help my dad out with his garden where he has Deer feeding on his sprouting melons, and, I might add, other vegetable items. Do you charge by the hour or the garden plot?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MogtheDog, I wouldn't just sit there if I were you. By the end of the week, you will be crushed by that watermelon. Get out now, while you still can!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS: why not find yourself a pumpkin patch. That will much more exciting for us Bradbury fans. Prepare for Halloween!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
MogtheDog, I wouldn't just sit there if I were you. By the end of the week, you will be crushed by that watermelon. Get out now, while you still can!

Thanks for the warning. I've just learned that Mother vine grows faster than her offspring:

I've since convinced her that I mean no harm. I am simply waiting.

I wonder...Can melon vines can see thought bubbles? Here's mine right now:

I am growing pumpkins as well; however, they've not yet set their first fruit. I will have pumpkins by Halloween, though.

MTD

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Hey MogtheDog, you need to travel to Ottumwa, Iowa and help my dad out with his garden where he has Deer feeding on his sprouting melons, and, I might add, other vegetable items. Do you charge by the hour or the garden plot?

Mog the Dog here.

I would love to visit Ottumwa! Airfare is a reasonable $4.70 each way if I can stuff myself into one of those Priority Flat Rate envelopes.

The deer problem is a tough one. If venison is not an option, creating an alternative food source is the only other thing that seems to work around here.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:

Now that's a great use of a watermelon!

(No melon fan, I)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
If venison is not an option, creating an alternative food source is the only other thing that seems to work around here.

Right - put out corn. Them deer seem to love corn.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

Phil - I should be wise to take your advice and run, but I've become a bit intrigued by the story illustrations that are unfolding upon the surface of the melon in Rorschach fashion as I sit and wait.

The watermelon DNA has tales to tell today...

MTD

posted Hide Post

Mog the Dog here. Only six short days and my chicken egg melon is now a bowling ball melon.

True, I've got nothing on Jack and his beanstalk, but what I've found here is summer magic, six ways from Sunday.

MTD

posted Hide Post
Looks like it's retaining water to me!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

Mog the Dog here.

My watermelon looks big enough to harvest after only 10 days of waiting, but it is not.

So I'll sit and wait some more.

Anyone care to announce harvest day?

MTD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MogtheDog,