Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Simply Waiting on a Watermelon...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simply Waiting on a Watermelon...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
No prognosticator, I!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
No prognosticator, I!

Very well, then. I shall take on the burden of progmogstication myself.

The original watermelon from which the seed came that was planted in April of this year to produce the watermelon on which I am presently waiting, was harvested on August 22, 2005. That melon was also the size of a chicken egg on its own July 20th. Let history repeat itself once more, I say!

August 22nd it is. What a fine day to celebrate the origin of a metaphor!

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog The Dog, you are so fortunate that your melon is tethered to its stem, otherwise it could roll upon you and crush you to smithereens (have you ever seen a smithereen?) and we (the Board Memebrs) would not like to see that (except, perhaps, for the more perverse ones) because you would then post of a photo subsequent to such an accident.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Mog The Dog, you are so fortunate that your melon is tethered to its stem, otherwise it could roll upon you and crush you to smithereens (have you ever seen a smithereen?) and we (the Board Memebrs) would not like to see that (except, perhaps, for the more perverse ones) because you would then post of a photo subsequent to such an accident.

You know me too well, biplane1. You are a fine man.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subsequent is a good word.

OK, I guess August 22nd.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

OK, I guess August 22nd.

Picked that date right out of the air, did you?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might say that.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
...and crush you to smithereens (have you ever seen a smithereen?)...

Maybe Smithereens is a place. "Blown to Smithereens" might be a nautical expression, like "blown to Honduras", or "blown to Fort Lauderdale".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I googled smithereens and found a plethora of information about a smithereens blog, a web site, apparently a singing group, etc., etc. Who would have known?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes - I enjoy The Smithereens.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, I thought for sure you would acknowledge that plethora is a good word. But, oh no! not a word about it.

Say, seeing that you have mustered out, I tried to eliminate the billet phone number, but, unfortunately, wiped out eveything. Would you email me your phone number at clmi9901@msn.com when you can. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I acknowledge it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Plethora is a GREAT word. How pleasing that there should be a plethora of meanings for smithereens.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

It's eighty years to the day since Bradbury's Bill Forrester ordered up an old fashioned lime-vanilla ice within earshot of Miss Helen Loomis, and I'm sitting here waiting on a watermelon while I wonder whatever happened to those two.

Three more weeks until harvest day:

By the way, this is what Halloween looks like on the first day of August in this neck-o-the-woods:

MTD

posted Hide Post
Lime-vanilla is a good word.

"Live Forever!"