Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Who is Ray Bradbury,?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is Ray Bradbury,?
 Login/Join

posted
So.... I researched the short story I read in 7th grade english. A "Sound of Thunder" and i have to say for a genre like science fiction, that I do not care for much, it was a great story! To compare it to the "Pedestrian" or "Fahrenheit 451", I would have to say it has them beat."A Sound of Thunder" was more exciting and in a way listening to it intrigued my imagination and made it run wild! A time of dinosaurs, time travel, and dangerous hazards as well. Could you imagine that with one step off of a path, you could alter so many things? By stepping onto a butterfly, you could alter things that supposidly change times even before jesus moses etc? Queen Elizabeth might never be born , or Abe Lincoln would never become president all because of one step off of a path. Now I am usually into books that give you a higher meaning or teach you life lessons like the "'Pedestrian" and "Fahrenheit 451", but i liked this book alot. I read over it again, but if I can remember it still from 7th grade as well it must have put some impact on me,? I am sure if one of you, my fellow classmates, read this you would agree. When I read the "Pedestrian", I thought it was alright. It was decent, I enjoyed that talking car, and the way he talked about how the lights would illuminate the windows and the flashes of the tv screens all played in my mind about the blank stares on the faces of people who had lost the meaning of living life. He was the only one that in the story seemed so stand out. His house, I imagined it the only one lit up and it made me understand more of his personality. I related myself to the character,and thought ya'know, I would do the same thing. I could not stand to fit in with a crowd of people in a world where everyone else seemed to be perfect. This concept came in Fahrenheit 451 as well. I would be like Montag, and would want to make a difference, or else Clarisse who would be the odd ball who enjoyed the little things and appreciated them instead of forgetting them like all the others. I would want to shake everyone and ask them what is going on, that they're all acting that way. Ray Bradbury must be that way. He must be a unique individual. Someone who wants to make a difference,and i think through his writing he does that. It may be strange and peculiar but it is who he is, and people can relate to that. I can relate to that. He is not afraid to write things that boggle people's minds, or show them things from his own point of view. I find that inspiring and refreshing to know. I am happy we live in a world unlike the world in Fahrenheit 451. Ray Bradbury is Montag, and he is the character from the Pedestrian,! Awesome!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Cooney's English class must be loads of fun!!

http://www.slideshare.net/Mrs....e-fiction-assignment

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of that is very well said guitargirl116! Although I did not read "A Sound of Thunder," I'm sure that when I get the chance to read it, it will be a great book. I did, however, reach both the Pedestrian and Farhenheit 451. I thought they were both great stories. I also think Ray Bradbury was portraying himself in both characters. He is the one who wants to stand out and be different. If I were him, I would want to be different as well. I also, like you guitargirl116, would be Guy Montag and Leonard Mead. I would enjoy taking the long walks at night and make a difference like Montag. Standing out is very important in today's society, at least I believe so. More people need to stand out and make a difference, even if it's only a little bit. I think that would help a lot. I would highly suggest to everyone who hasn't read any of the books to do so. They will help a great deal and change your mind about how you think and act.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Mrs. Cooney's English class must be loads of fun!

Indeed, but Mrs Cooney should know better than to post copyrighted material in its entirety onto a public website without permission!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I was wondering about "that!" (This was put up in 2007! Does this have anything to do with the Wiki debate now taking place concerning piracy and the like??)

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under those new proposals, Slideshare could be shut down! (Which would be absurd.)

Under the current system, the infringing material can sit there forever until the actual copyright holder complains. (Which is also absurd.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed Dinosaur17! I believe in a world of black and white and brand names someone needs to stand up and be the plain t-shirt of their own brand name, or the neon bright light in a newspaper world! I feel that way when I come to school,sometimes. It's good to do your own thing, refreshing. A sound of thunder is good though! i am sure you would like it. It's more exciting and adventurous! It almost reminded me of the movie journey to the center of the earth if you have ever seen it. I have never read the book before but i am sure it is ten times better, like most usually are. I am confused though philnic and fjp451? Who is Mrs. Cooney? I clicked on the link but i don't understand what your referring to? If your saying I got my ideas off of her or that website I did not. These were my own personal opinions and ideas. Ray is the author of A sound of thunder correct? Unless i am mistaken that is what i was told. If i am wrong please inform me, but otherwise please explain what you saying. I don't know who Mrs. Cooney is?

posted Hide Post
guitargirl116, fjp's link goes to a Powerpoint slide show (about "A Sound of Thunder") which is created by a teacher named Mrs Cooney. No one was suggesting it had influenced you. fjp was just posting it as an interesting resource (and then I pointed out that it contained scans from a well known comic book adaptation of the story - so Mrs Cooney (whoever she is) has committed an act of copyright piracy!)

I agree with you about JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH. Bradbury read Jules Verne when he was young, and no doubt Verne's depiction of monstrous other worlds influenced him in writing "A Sound of Thunder". "Thunder" in turn must have influenced Michael Crichton and Steven Spielberg when they created JURASSIC PARK.

Another reference point would be Arthur Conan Doyle's THE LOST WORLD, which is quite similar to Verne. And yet another would be the classic film KING KONG, which Bradbury saw when he was 13 years old in 1933!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
oh alright! Sorry! i just wasn't sure what you meant and i just tried to clarify things. I read and looked at her comic version a little. It wasn't exactly what i remember from reading the short version story from Bradbury, of course we all have our own ideas and images of his work, and although she did commit copyright, the drawings were cool. But woah really i did not know that? I mean the two were similar books but i never realized that they were really drawn together because he read it as a kid. The lost world sounds familiar but i can't remember anything about it much. I am a big movie buff. I love movies. Although i have to say the books are always better than the movies. King Kong was very good. I did not see the old version, only the new version of it but it was delightful. One of my favorite movies for a while actually.I would be terrified to be in a land with gigantic dangerous creatures and yet i would be thrilled! It's all so amazing though how other people influenced Ray and inspired him at such a young age to become a great writer. So he could do the same thing for our generation. That's just too awesome, it blows my mind how everything comes together like that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guitargirl116:
...It's all so amazing though how other people influenced Ray and inspired him at such a young age to become a great writer. So he could do the same thing for our generation. That's just too awesome, it blows my mind how everything comes together like that.

One of the cool things about Bradbury is that he was so influenced by "popular" culture rather than "high" culture. His work was influenced by (and first appeared in) the pulp magazines of the early 20th century, as well as by early movies such as THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME and KING KONG.

As his writing matured in his 20s and 30s, he began to show more influences from "serious" literature. For me, it's the combination of influences that makes him so fascinating.

Then, as you say, he influenced the generations who followed him. Steven Spielberg and Stephen King owe much to Bradbury.

- Phil