Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Zen and the Art of Writing
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zen and the Art of Writing
 Login/Join

posted
I just read subject book and was really inspired, but also really daunted. To think that Bradbury wrote a thousand words a day for 20 years before he felt really confident with his writing tells me that I could also be a writer if I really dedicate myself to the task. I've tried writing just a bit since finishing h.s. (oh a dozen years ago). I actually had one idea which I am really proud of, but I only got it down in bits and pieces, which are difficult to make into a coherent piece. I was wondering if anyone else here has dreams of writing, or if anyone has succeeded. Do you have anything you'd like to share?

Mike

Posts: 11 | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have several writers on the forum. You can read about my book here: http://hiddennook.com/page5.html and perhaps the others will tell about theirs.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an aspiring writer. I had a similar reaction to "Zen" as you did, jiminut - absolutely stunned that Bradbury wrote, and still writes, so much. I guess to complete around 1,000 short stories, you'd have to write a lot.

The common words I hear from nearly every author I've read about is: you have to dedicate yourself to writing. As cliche as it sounds, I think it's true. It took Ray Bradbury a decade or so to write the first story he felt was really good, good enough to be published. A decade. Hundreds of thousands of words, pages, typewriter spools, and loads of frustration. The literary world would not be the same without Bradbury. I am glad he stuck with it.

My biggest hangup is time. It's physically draining, mentally exhausting, time-consuming, and oftentimes frustrating to write. I'm single, young, working a standard 40-hour work week, and still find it somewhat difficult to make time for reading/writing. I can't imagine trying to do so with familial and other obligations.

My goal is to have a short story submitted to a magazine before Christmas. This will be my first attempt at publication. I've had the butterflies in my stomach for weeks.

Anybody with actual publication experience have a couple pennies they could add?

[This message has been edited by rm-r (edited 12-16-2004).]

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beyond a few poems in collections and working on underground mags and the like, I've not published much. But in the last almost two years I have been writing and editing my own e-zine on my website. Titled If - E - Zine (tm) I have billed it as "The Free Online Magazine of Thrilling Speculative Fiction!" Whatever the heck that means LoL

It's not much but it serves its purpose as a way for me to continue to practice my crafts without much pressure. Pop on over to my new site when you can, if you'd like to check it out. I'd be more than happy to return any support.

www.thelordshen.com

[This message has been edited by LordShen (edited 12-28-2004).]

_______________________<br />Isn't there more to life than getting the answers right? ~ Charlie Brown<br /><br />Feel free to visit me at www.thelordshen.com

Posts: 6 | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an aspiring writer, but I'm well on my way. Look up Omnicide on Amazon if you want.

I've managed to crap four novels out of my brain so far. I find the key is self discipline. The road to success is paved by rejection notices. I got one hundred and ten rejections for Omnicide, and one acceptance letter. And that's keeping in mind most of the time they don't get back to you.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the problem is that you "crapped them out of your brain". Just Kidding!!!!

I take comfort in the fact that Hemingway was rejected numerous times (don't remember how many, but it was double digits) before he got a publisher; so some of the rejections are just taste, market factor, timing, etc., and are not a reflection of the quality of the writing.

Congratulations on publishing a novel. Very cool!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dreams of writing, jiminut? Oh, yes. Constantly.

rm-r, you posted on my birthday. I've lingered, wondering where the time went. I hope you submitted your work.

Faler, helluva tat. You understand the committment it takes to be an author.

Here it is, 3:33am cdt, first day, new year, writing by the lite of coors--

and it is crystal clear that Ray is completely correct. Never, ever, give up. Write like your life depends on it.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writing is an unbelievably crazy task. No one in their right mind should attempt such mental contortions!

On the other hand, it's a wholemessa fun! Nothing can compare to bending your mind and words into shapes that have never existed before.

rm-r, jiminut--go for it! I think the best advice that anyone's ever given about writing is to just do it. A writer-friend of mine says that everyone's got 10,000 words clogging up their system that they have to get out before they write anything publishable (though he cites Neil Gaiman as a possible exception to this).

But writing is extremely difficult, especially for those trying to hold down 40+ hour per week jobs. What can be said about this? Does anyone have any solutions to this difficulty?

Not me. I have to do all my writing on the off hours. Or when I can't sleep. Or when I'm on holiday. All that can be said, as far as I'm concerned, is keep at it! There's no other way.

My most recent story is in Ash Tree Press's new anthology ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT. The story, 'The Old Tailor & The Gaunt Man' was very much written with Bradbury in mind. I self-published it as a short illustrated chapbook that I sent to friends and family for Halloween. I sent Mr Bradbury one too. No clue if he got it, but I like to know that I sent it.

I was reading about the Chicago appearence on another thread--I'll be in Madison at the end of May! I live in Dublin. I'd give anything to see him speak just once, but I seem to keep missing him. Alas!

But seeing as we'll both live forever, there's all the time in the world.

Regards,
Brian

Posts: 11 | Location: Dublin | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas Brian,

I, too, missed seeing Ray in October when my wife and I flew to see my son and his family. It was all set as Ray said to stop by at 4:00 PM on a Saturday, but my daughter-in-law was still nursing my newest grandchild and we couldn't get away in that they live south of Long Beach and there was still another conflict. Ray was busy the following day, Sunday, but I know I'll be back to visit my son and therefore can see Ray then.

However, I am thinking real hard about going up to Chicago in April. It would be neat to go to Waukegan the day before. Are there any Chicago area fans who would be willing to share a rental and perhaps a motel room? Let me know.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 01-19-2005).]

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the Frustration!

I did manage to go through Waukegan a few years ago. For as little as there is there, it's a fascinating place.

Before I went, I contacted the Waukegan community center and was given a brochure for a walking tour of Bradbury's Waukegan. It was mostly ads, but there was a good map and quotes from the various books.

If I recall, the brochure was published for a Bradbury festival the community had earilier that Autumn. Maybe it would be worth stopping to see if they have more?

I still have two pressed autumn leaves from the bottom of the Ravine in my copy of DANDELION WINE.

Brian

Posts: 11 | Location: Dublin | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Friday I became the proud owner of a 60mm telescope (my first) and a copy of Ray Bradbury�s Zen and the Art of Writing. There was a brief debate about which to open first but very brief. I�ve wanted a telescope since I was about 12. Within half an hour I had the telescope and tripod put together and sitting outside desperately waiting for nightfall (which comes around 9.30pm at this time of year). Saturn rose like a revelation, I knew you could see the rings through a telescope I just hadn�t realised what that meant. Not an image in a book or on a screen but there in front of me, Saturn with its rings, actually seen from my backyard, looking like an eye that was staring right back at the world.
The book had to wait until Sunday when my wife and two girls headed off on various excursions of their own to leave me to my own devices or vices depending on which way you look at it.
It too was a revelation, just as revealing as the telescope. Reminding me of things that have always been inside me but rarely come into focus. How scary, breathtaking and inspirational both views can be. I started work on a story before my family returned, sitting down in my workshop and letting the joy and humour of it pour out. Last night, at dusk, following more advice from the book, I went for a walk up a local valley and found two other story ideas that are brighter than anything I have tinkered with for months, and images that I was still scribbling down late into the night.

Posts: 1 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice little read, David W. Enjoyed it.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you're a writer. Only writers post paragraphs like that.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hm! My post disappeared.

[This message has been edited by libRArY (edited 02-01-2005).]

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Wrong #!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-01-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post