Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray as a young man Today.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray as a young man Today.
 Login/Join

posted
O.K., Imagine of he was born, say ten, or twenty years ago.

I think he'd be the weird kid, with all black clothes, seeing as how he likes it dark.

Today kids are much more free to express themselves. I doubt he had such an option in his time.

Or maybe he'd be the really normal quiet guy that nobdy suspects. then BAM! outbrakes of sheer weirdness. Like eyeballs tattooed to his feet.

He seems to embrace suffering, I think he'd have a lot of tattoos.

I wonder what he'd do with his hair.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He celebrates suffering in his work, but describes himself as a "devout coward." I doubt he invites pain and might well faint at the sight of a tattoo needle.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he would be more embracing of current technology, such as computers or the internet?

"I'll hold onto the world tight someday. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning"-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Posts: 7 | Location: Radford VA | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury has most definitely NOT embraced the computer or the internet!!!!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if that's just his generation, or so much of his mindset he'd still reject it even were he only 20 years old now? Naw....

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never knew he hated computers.

If he was 20, then he would recognize them as something not organic to daily life.

If he was born today, or in the last 15 years, he would have accepted computers as partof the establishment. Then Dandelion Wine, which focuses heavily on the assumptions of youth, would have kids playing video games.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What makes anyone think that Ray would be any different Today!! ?

Personally, from what I know of Ray, Ray would be Ray in any other time, with very little differences.

Those ones that are thinking he would be like, well, themselves, with all the modern trappings...those can also be found in any other time as well.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler: Great question! I'm with Nard on the idea that Bradbury's fundamental personality would be the same. The way he writes he seems to transcend time.

BUT, what if he grew up today? I don't think he'd take to the video game stuff much (although he's a closet artist, and might like some of the art in some of the games).

Since he used a typewriter, I think he'd probably use the computer as a word processor. Throughout his house are the vestiges of a tactile life -- not a passive one. Books, art, displays, etc.

I also think his imagination would have soared if he had grown up with the space program, rather than always having to anticipate it. I'm in awe by the photos from the Hubble, the moon and Mars landings, the interplanetary probes, etc. Imagine how these kinds of beautific displays of the grandeur of space would have sparked that already lively imagination!

I think people who feel and seek out love and beauty find it no matter where they are. I think Ray would have found his human compassion and kindliness . . . his sense of family, history and values today. I see a lot of young people who really inspire me. I think Ray would have been one of them.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post