Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My Boy and Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Boy and Ray
 Login/Join

posted
About 20 years ago I used to go to the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference where Ray was the keynote speaker each year. One year, I didn't have a babysitter so took my two children.

On the way home, my son, out of nowhere, said, "Mommy I want to write a story."

I was surprised but it seemed a good way to get him to write (something he hated to do for school) so we sat down and he dictated a story to me. It really wasn't bad so I helped him polish it up a bit (i.e. check spelling and grammar) and we sent it off to a children's magazine just for fun.

A few months later a check arrived. The magazine had bought it and my son made a grand total of $35.00!

The next year I told Ray the story during a book signing. His eyes got big, he jumped up (pens flying everywhere, people ducking) and said, "THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!"

(I used the caps because, yes, he did yell.)

I'm so grateful to Ray, not just for the years of pleasure he gave me, but also my children. One year my 7 year old daughter and Ray got in a deep conversation. Both were very earnest but I couldn't hear them. On the way home I asked my daughter what they talked about. (This great man of letters, one of the great American writer's, etc.) And she said:

"Cats"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sharon,

Posts: 10 | Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: 09 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic. How old was your boy at the time? Ray's wife Maggie had wonderful cat stories.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon was about 11 or 12 at the time.

Did I forget the part where I knew who she was talking to because who else had grey hair and wore white shirt, white shorts, white socks and white shoes? You could never accuse Ray of blending in with the crowd. Wink

I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to meet Maggie.

Posts: 10 | Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: 09 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pens flying, people ducking. Funny.

Yes, Ray is a great lover of cats. Unfortunately, he's between them right now.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Sharon and company. What a fantastic anecdote-- both of them, really-- and so illustrative of who Ray is.

It's no exaggeration to say that Ray's work changed my life, and I love him dearly for both the work, and for who he is as a human being.

My sister and I both are thrilled we got to meet him, and only recently did we share our memories of those separate events.

At a booksigning where my sister met the great man, probably 20 years ago, a boy of about 12 was in line ahead of her, shyly carrying what turned out to be a thick scrapbook. When it was his turn to approach the table, what he showed to Ray were his notes and clippings all about Ray and his work, and his own ideas. This boy was a true and ardent fan who was inspired by Ray and honored to meet his hero.

Naturally Ray was thrilled about this young person's obviously sincere interest. Consciously ignoring everyone else in line, Ray let the boy take his time and show him every single page. Ray listened carefully as the boy explained what everything meant to him, and along the way he offered enthusiasm and encouragement.

Can you imagine the depth of this gift in that boy's life? But this is who Ray is, and is part of why I love him so much.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reverielarke:
At a booksigning where my sister met the great man, probably 20 years ago, a boy of about 12 was in line ahead of her, shyly carrying what turned out to be a thick scrapbook. When it was his turn to approach the table, what he showed to Ray were his notes and clippings all about Ray and his work, and his own ideas. This boy was a true and ardent fan who was inspired by Ray and honored to meet his hero.

Naturally Ray was thrilled about this young person's obviously sincere interest. Consciously ignoring everyone else in line, Ray let the boy take his time and show him every single page. Ray listened carefully as the boy explained what everything meant to him, and along the way he offered enthusiasm and encouragement.

Can you imagine the depth of this gift in that boy's life? But this is who Ray is, and is part of why I love him so much.

Love this post! It is, indeed, who he is!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post